Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Frag Updates
The little frags have been in the tank for a week today and are showing the first signs of waking up from their trip.
The alkalinity has been steady at 7kh
Until tonight it's dropped to 6.7 :)

I guess I'll have to get the CA reactor set up and running tomorrow.

Been through a few bulb combo changes this week and finally happy with the lighting set up.
I'll be taking the first FTS photos within the next week as I'll have to make it look presentable first.

As for the frags , they shipped well with only one arrived bleached -had to be my favourite :( Tierra del Fuego.
This frag was very pale and over the next few days went worse.
Algea has now taken hold of this frag in its weak state but it still battles on for survival. There is only one polyp showing on it.
One other Tennius frag had a bit of algea grow on it but I am glad to see that's cleared up and gone. This Tennius polyps are showing ever so slightly today.
Firetruck is still asleep:rage
So that's the frag bad news out the way.

As far as the rest of the frags go,they are making themselves at home showing crazy insane polyp extensions.
I witnessed one acro catch a pod and got a photo
image.jpeg

The strawberry shortcake is also looking a bit shaggy :D
image.jpeg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Now they're some happy acro's :D
Be prepared to toil for a few months to get the firetruck to do anything lol its a bloody slow acro lol

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Set up the reactor today, got 7.15 kh flowing out of it after five hours , let's see what's going on tomorrow - might want to bump it up a fraction, but not bad for a set up and see effort as I don't run any sorts of controller- :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Seems to be pretty stable :) and at the perfect level too! Interested to see what it will be tonight :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Tonight tank 7.25
Reactor effluent 7.7
Rate of effluent 180ml / min
Bubble count 39 /min

Left bubble count alone and opened effluent to 428 ml/ min overnight (Max wide open throttle)

Continue tomorrow...

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Well something is growing ;) lol
The strawberry shortcake base is growing faster than jacks beanstalk. I've not seen anything like it before.
Most other bases have grown onto the putty these are acro showing heap of PE .

It's funny how some "experts" still argue that PE is a sign of stress or exposure to the wrong kind of light.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
The strawberry shortcake base is growing faster than jacks beanstalk. I've not seen anything like it before.
Most other bases have grown onto the putty these are acro showing heap of PE .

It's funny how some "experts" still argue that PE is a sign of stress or exposure to the wrong kind of light.
haha that's awesome! I'm glad everything is growing so well!
It is funny, I can sort of understand where they're coming from but from all the experiences in the hobby I find it hard to stomach lol

I am still jealous of your two little fish too, I went to Deer Park the other day and Dave had a Fireball and a Multicolour in the store! They're gorgeous fish :D

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
haha that's awesome! I'm glad everything is growing so well!
It is funny, I can sort of understand where they're coming from but from all the experiences in the hobby I find it hard to stomach lol

I am still jealous of your two little fish too, I went to Deer Park the other day and Dave had a Fireball and a Multicolour in the store! They're gorgeous fish :D
Cheers mate, the Fireball is a stroppy little bastard, I am dreading the day I add a new fish into the mix. The multi colour is a gentle specimen. They both have not taken any notice of the SPS.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Cheers mate, the Fireball is a stroppy little bastard, I am dreading the day I add a new fish into the mix. The multi colour is a gentle specimen. They both have not taken any notice of the SPS.
Sounds like he might need timeout when new fish go in lol
Any thoughts on what new fish might be? Lol

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sounds like he might need timeout when new fish go in lol
Any thoughts on what new fish might be? Lol
Need a red fish mate.
Would love a Flame Angel but they do pick SPS , might have to go Flame hawk. So many great fish out there it's hard to choose.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Tierra del Fuego RIP - you were my best frag , you left behind your beautiful mates. The sadness lasted a brief moment as you were replaced by two Sustainable Reef frags I picked up from Aquaristic :eek
Billy got a shipment in on 19th May and luckily for me most were still there.
Armed with my TDF photo I tried to match it as best as I could , thought I got it correct so I picked one as a TDF and one that I thought to be Firetruck, now I am so confused :banghead I might have two Firetruck :rage Saying that worse things could happen :D
Now the Billy's Sustainable Strawberry shortcake are growing some stalks with pink tips , my SSC are growing like weeds so far - that's about all I can say as all his Sustainable frags have browned out since this snap of cold dry winter air has caused a salinity swing that caught them off guard.
My recommendation is that you all go grab a Sustainable Reefs frag from Aquaristic Arncliffe as they are gem treasures even though they are brown.

I can't wait for these two to show thier true colours.
image.jpeg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
What about a pair/trio of flame wrasse? ;) lol

Bummer about the TDF but you're far too spoiled if you're complaining about two firetrucks!! :P haha

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
What about a pair/trio of flame wrasse? ;) lol

Bummer about the TDF but you're far too spoiled if you're complaining about two firetrucks!! :p haha
I have been a bit spoilt...FYI my holiday ends on Monday morning at 630am when I start work. Yuk !!!
I can say I showed restraint in not getting that Possum wrasse at Aquaristic today,
There will be something in the fish dept at some stage mate.

Might even pack one of these fire truck versions to bring to Melbourne, if ya know what I mean.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I added an SSC frag last week so It'll be interesting following yours closely to compare.
Mines browned a little but have high hopes!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I have been a bit spoilt...FYI my holiday ends on Monday morning at 630am when I start work. Yuk !!!
I can say I showed restraint in not getting that Possum wrasse at Aquaristic today,
There will be something in the fish dept at some stage mate.

Might even pack one of these fire truck versions to bring to Melbourne, if ya know what I mean.
haha a very rude awakening from holidays!
I'm sure :) you can take your time picking the right fish given how well the tank is going!

I am super pumped for that weekend lol hopefully the tank has settled and things are looking good when you get here! :p