Tank Journal Archive

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Framing Job
Alrighty, so today i got some wood and screws and a cheap kmart drill, as my local bunnings dont offer cuts for "OHS" reasons, i went to masters instead and got it all cut down, this stand used 12m of 75x35 and has been made 70x70x80. After some re-designs along the way i am quite happy with what i ended up with. The Kmart drill (corded) worked amazingly well for its price, although it did heat up quickly, the cheap ass drill bits i had also performed very well. The same however can not be said for the screws, on the drills lowest speed setting i managed to round out 4 screws before they were even halfway into the wood. However i still managed to finish the stand.
I also used some freebies (old bed slats) to make a frame for my hood, this frame will hold the heatsinks in one way or another, i am yet to figure that bit out.
As for photos, sadly there are none of the build process, but i can upload some of the finished product (i hope) from my sisters galaxy tablet.
Cheers

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Thanks, now next time i get paid ill be adding some ply to finish of a bit and do the plumbing and hopefully hopefully order half of my lights

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I've used that gym matt foam as well - it's great stuff but seems to wear and sink quite a lot. We switched to the playgroup squares from Bunnings ($29 each) which are a lot more dense. But, more expensive.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
This was the camping mat connectable square things, im not really worried about it wearing at the moment as i have no idea how long it will take to get the tank running, it could still be a year away haha

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Bunnings sell an aluminium railing that is shaped like a L which you could rig up as a slide in rack somehow.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I'd use the "connect-it" 25mm box tube and plastic elbows/connectors (from bunnings). Easy to cut and work with, pretty cheap and very simply to knock together a sturdy frame to your requirements.
Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
haha yeah it is. Was going to get 10x10mm stuff from USA - but too expensive, so went massive overkil with the 25x25 :)

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Alllrighty, cabinetry is 90% finished, the hood is compleated and 3 sides are attached to the cabinet, only waiting on a door for it. Very glad i got it finished. I think its starting to look killer already!. Ill upload photos when i find the camera haha.
Still waiting on my plumbing bits i ordered last week/week before, and when they get here hopefully ill be able to do a freshwater run in of the plumbing system and see the whole thing in action!