Tank Journal Archive

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Fts Easter 2017
Couple of quick full tank shots and a neat low res progress pic. Tank is now 3 years and 4 months old, I am happy to say that it has actually surpassed my exceptions for where this tank would get to. Despite the many downs you experience, this hobby really is fantastic!

as25.postimg.org_kyy64gfrj_IMG_0603.jpg

as25.postimg.org_bsfvh6aj3_IMG_0594.jpg

as25.postimg.org_o1uau35cf_IMG_7242.jpg

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Wow
Remember now why I contacted you for advice all those years ago
Couldn't have found a better example
It's right there
Pictures are worth a 1000 words
Wow. Just WOW !!!!

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Amazing. Great to see these sort of posts, to remind us that at the end of the day, it is actually all worth the time, and effort.

Great progress shots.
Got the tank builder and plumber here later today. Trying to finalize exact layout, and resulting plumbing. Core driller will be here at 7 am tomorrow, so need to be very clear on which holes to be drilled where, through the side wall, and into the basement.
Notes :-
Center Over-Flow box - offset from center though.
Reduced depth from 90 cm to 85cm
Seriously considering a 'Step-Down' of 30 cm at one end, to a depth of 115 cm.
Plan to glue a row of rocks along the drop off edge, to hold back the upper level sand.
Same for overflow box - will glue small rocks to the box side, to hide it, and maybe add a ledge on narrow side.
Pump and plumbing for main circulation to and from sump in basement, is not too bad. Just trying to work out the pump and plumbing today, for a closed loop pump for internal circulation within the tank.
I intend to cap it off with Lesley's great idea for the hood raised with actuator system hidden in the ceiling.
So a full plate - comments, suggestions or whatever , as always, most welcome.
Jac

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Cheers guys. Lots to learn, the rabbit hole just gets deeper and deeper. The more you understand, the more you realise you don't understand...,,

But all in all, the tank has been a huge success and I'm very pleased.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Just stunning. Nothing like a filled in mature looking reef.
I couldn't help but think how much less water volume you'd have now compared to in the beginning!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Dude, your tank is awesome! Just a question though. Did you add more rock since the origonal scape?
Cheers mate. I don't think I added any rock, but did rearrange the left side bommie after that first picture. I may have added one or two small rocks to help keep the structure stable (but I'm talking like a kilo or two, not like another box of rock). Amazing how much "space" corals take up, even LPS