Tank Journal Archive

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
love the xenia!
I got about a kilo of it I'll give you for free, lol.

Back in the 80s if you'd have told me you were going to take a coral you bought from me home and cut it up I'd have probably thrown your ass out of the shop.

Damn nice tank. I wanna see another FTS in about 6 months with those Green Chromis.

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Beautiful mate!!

is that 3 yellow tangs? im positive im seeing 3!

how did that go for you, did you use any special process for pairing? and how are things working out between the 3?

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
As someone who hates xenia, thats some epic well done xenia, very impressive and a good fit. Its a good scape, good livestock and I'd class the tank over all as impressive. Reefers are usually too critical of their own tanks, thats the case here too. You should be proud of this one!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Beautiful mate!!

is that 3 yellow tangs? im positive im seeing 3!

how did that go for you, did you use any special process for pairing? and how are things working out between the 3?
Thanks mate.

Hehe yes that is three you are seeing. I have never had much problems with trios, duos i stuggled with but others like Jamo seem to do it no problems.

They have been together for three coming on to four years now I think. I brought them when they were the size of a 20c piece and they were QT'd in a 100l tank for about 8 months together before being introduced to the display.

They have a chase around every so often but a second later all is forgotten and I have never seen a nipped fin or an empty stomach.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
As someone who hates xenia, thats some epic well done xenia, very impressive and a good fit. Its a good scape, good livestock and I'd class the tank over all as impressive. Reefers are usually too critical of their own tanks, thats the case here too. You should be proud of this one!
Thank you as well for the kind words.

The scape was meant to be for @leodb89 s tank as I was seeding the rock for him for nearly a year but his circumstances changed so adopted it myself.

I have been reefing for about 12 years, keeping marines for 20 - but I have never grown an entire tank out from frags before, so it has been a bit of a lesson in patients.

I am used to hitting up all the collectors or LFS for those primo bits and if you ever have a spot of bad luck, plugging that hole straight away.

This has been a lot more interesting in the fact that nothing has really cost much money because everything has been like $5-$20 a piece but you are only getting a single zoa polyp or a frag the size of your thumb nail.

Alot of the frags were also gifts from @Agent M, who sent them up from Melbourne.

Some of the frustration has been you have a picture in your head of how you want it to end up looking but you have to grow it out and things grow at such different rates than you want them to be proportioned .

So you are pruning some things because they have taken over and singing to others each night hoping they start growing quicker.

Its probably the least visually impressive tank I have done in a long time but the most rewarding.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If I lived there, I'd be hitting up the collectors too or trying to hitch a ride out to the reef to help them collect, then help myself to some of the goodies.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
The FTS isnt really that impressive but you asked for it. I hate the scrappy frags everywhere look but with the exception of the Goni everything is cultured.

The LPS is pretty damn slow growing compared to the sofities.

View attachment 48406
What's with the humble already? Your tank is a crowd pleaser and you know it :worship