Off-Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hi @holly , thank you kindly for the offer. I think we might take you up on that, I'll be in touch in a couple of days when I have a better picture of where we are fundraising wise and when we plan to deliver to ezza.

Thanks!

I am the "previous member" (Ian3145) and I'm now far enough past that time to share a couple of things.

The Reefuge community in general was more support to me at that time than my (now ex) wife and when that care package arrived, it not only brought tears to my eyes but helped me dig myself out of a very dark place.
I'm a single father of two primary aged kids and a teen boy and to this day, as soon as I've got them off each morning, I log on here just because it's a great community (I can no longer work or walk much).

For those that don't know I have a rare but aggressive recurring brain tumour that I've been battling for 9 years, in that time my family have been told I would be dead next day twice and I've been clinically dead twice (on the operating table). Although it will continue as long as I'm around, I've survived each round in this fight so far and even now I continue to get moral support from our Reefuge community.

I'm telling you this because I want you to understand how much support can mean, even from people you've never physically met. So even if you can only manage $10, 10 people putting 10 bucks in is a hundred bucks and even with our PBS scheme I still personally spend close to $1500 a year on pharmaceuticals that keep me ticking, I hate to think what Ezza and her family might be shelling out.

Messages of support are important too. Did you know that 1 in 5 of us will suffer mental illness in our life and every one of us will be effected by it???

I'm doing ok, she's not but with help she can be.......

I'm in. I'll make contact to arrange it right now.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Also - a quick update guys, we are now nearing $350, some top shelf zoas and a quality skimmer. This is really shaping up to make a difference, I am proud to be a member of such an amazing community!

Right now I think we should focus on her receiving the funds to use on medical things, rather than an LFS getting paid to give her discounts. If she chooses to use the funds for her tank that is completely up to her. But I would rather the funds go directly to her rather than through an LFS.
Absolutely agree, cash is best left for her to use where it's needed most.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
So I've been talking to my boss (Paul Talbot at Majestic Aquariums) and he said that he'd be happy to at least donate some equipment to keep her in the hobby - as someone did say in the thread, she needs something to keep her going through this tough times.

So I think in her thread she did mention that she needed a better skimmer? And powerheads and all that?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@Azedenkae that would be amazing mate, but I don't want to take things for the sake of taking things. Let me scope out what she really needs only and we can go from there. First and foremost is the financial burden of her medical costs, but anything extra is certainly a bonus!

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
Does any one know what lights she is running as @MagicJ has a led controller that he has designed that i think would be fantastic for her if we all chipped in and maybe hit up some one like rapid led or led group buy or such and see if they would like to come on board with supply of leds ( i am willing to send correspondence and ask the question ) maybe converting to leds might help with power bills

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Thanks for the thought @newbiereef - but I believe she has recently switched to maxspect LED's and they seem to be doing well. I'm still sussing it all out, but from what I can get out of Ezza without giving any info of our plan away, she does need salt, a decent skimmer, a couple of basic automation gadgets from me and money to help with medical bills. We are well and truly on the way (just over $500 so far!), have sourced a quality skimmer and have a couple of people willing to go over and do maintenance on her tank. I think this is going to be life changing - KUDOS to all involved!

As stated earlier, I don't want to use any of the money raise to by tank related items (as her health is first and foremost) but it would be fantastic if we could get someone to cover the shipping of one bucket of salt that @holly has kindly donated (estimated $35 shipping) as I do know she needs more salt - that would be HUGE.

Other than that, we are really on track to make an announcement in say a weeks time? Should be awesome!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sensational! @Wrangy if you could cover postage for one bucket that would be mighty generous of you, I have another kind member who has said they will pay for the shipping of the second bucket in a month or two's time which is just sensational.

@Jimsim has kindly offered to assist with the installation of the new skimmer and relocation/removal of the fuge.

I think this, along with a couple of small gadgets from me and $500+ dollars this is going to be EPIC

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
That would be excellent if we had two buckets covered to get to her!!

Please excuse my French here.. but you guys are THE FUCKING BEST!!!!!! I highly doubt there's any other forum on the planet that would go to such an amazing extent just to make sure a member, whom some of us have NEVER met! Is looked after through a tough time!! :D I seriously love everyone that's donated and offered help, you really make me proud to be a part of this community!

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
@Wrangy. Your so right. I am a great believer in karma ! Show love respect & kindness to other people & you will be rewarded yourself. May not be straight away but it will happen. Thank you to the Reefuge community.!!!!!! Well done !

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air

Please excuse my French here.. but you guys are THE FUCKING BEST!!!!!! I highly doubt there's any other forum on the planet that would go to such an amazing extent just to make sure a member, whom some of us have NEVER met! Is looked after through a tough time!! :D I seriously love everyone that's donated and offered help, you really make me proud to be a part of this community!

This reminds me of the way that the Suzuki Samurai community USED to be, there to help each other out. I hope it stays that way here because Karma's a bitch when you're on the wrong side of it. You folks have something great here, never let it slip away.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012

@Wrangy. Your so right. I am a great believer in karma ! Show love respect & kindness to other people & you will be rewarded yourself. May not be straight away but it will happen. Thank you to the Reefuge community.!!!!!! Well done !
Aww group hug everyone :p

Status
Not open for further replies.