Reef Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Genuine American Chato algae (spaghetti algae) free.
I have posted this here instead of classifieds for a reason & hopefully the moderators will understand the reasoning and allow it to stay. The reason this is in the forums is that I want this to be for members that actually use the Reefuge, not just those that log on to scour the classifieds.

I have genuine american chaeto and with @chimaera 's help, I'm propagating it so as to make it more readily available to Reefuge members. It is being sold elsewhere for $40+ for a 50c coin sized piece and it seemed to me that I would like to make it more readily available.

chaeto.jpg

Here's the deal:
  1. I or another who has joined this deal, will provide you a fair amount of chaeto for free, all you have to do is send a self addressed 500gm satchel to the person supplying it to you.
  2. You in turn, agree to offer other reefuge members the same deal in this thread. That way this becomes self perpetuating.

I'm trusting that the friendly members here will enter into the spirit of this rather than on-selling it, otherwise I could have sold it myself, hell knows I need the money but that's not the point. If you do sell some, please share a few out for free within the reefuge first.

I'm "hoping" that by the end of 2013 that this will be widely available within the reefuge membership.
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_crossfingers.gif

Why here? Because I like the spirit & friendliness of this forum and want to contribute something.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
I would like to be placed on the list too please.

I currently have 2 other types of calcerous macro algae going in my fuge in addition to the ol caulerpa branchypus....A nice cheato clumping type, similar to this one and a beaut branching sponge like macro similar to dead mans fingers.

I am sharing these two amongst my MASWA friends, and woud love to grow and share yours as well. In return for a clump of the spaghetti type, I will return a clump of my cheato, and a clump of the spongy type to you for growing and sharing amongst reefuge members.

How's that?....:)

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I would like to be placed on the list too please.

I currently have 2 other types of calcerous macro algae going in my fuge in addition to the ol caulerpa branchypus....A nice cheato clumping type, similar to this one and a beaut branching sponge like macro similar to dead mans fingers.

I am sharing these two amongst my MASWA friends, and woud love to grow and share yours as well. In return for a clump of the spaghetti type, I will return a clump of my cheato, and a clump of the spongy type to you for growing and sharing amongst reefuge members.

How's that?....:)
Done, You're on the list @chrispc66.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
No problem, @vpreef . I might up my sump lighting schedule to get this baby growing even faster!

Just had a look what the current going rate is and found this ad on eBay - $50 for a tennis ball size (which compacted fits into a 2oz container). Different seller to the one before selling for $40. Crazy but then I guess if it's 'rare' people will pay what they will pay (same for exotic zoas etc).

How much does everything think is the minimum to share? @ijg3956 sent me a generous amount but with lots of people wanting some I'm balancing speed of delivery versus volume. Is a 2oz container worth a decent amount, or would everyone rather wait for a bigger share?

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
No problem, @vpreef . I might up my sump lighting schedule to get this baby growing even faster!

Just had a look what the current going rate is and found this ad on eBay - $50 for a tennis ball size (which compacted fits into a 2oz container). Different seller to the one before selling for $40. Crazy but then I guess if it's 'rare' people will pay what they will pay (same for exotic zoas etc).

How much does everything think is the minimum to share? @ijg3956 sent me a generous amount but with lots of people wanting some I'm balancing speed of delivery versus volume. Is a 2oz container worth a decent amount, or would everyone rather wait for a bigger share?
Very good question and one I've been pondering too. I was worried about value for cost of postage originally but given the cost of a 500gm satchel vs the price some people sell this for, I think the postage represents great value regardless of the amount.

It will be good to get everyone's opinions.

As far as being rare, that's what we're all agreeing to change, at least withing the reefuge.
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_thumbsup.gif

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
ill grab some off someone in about a month :) any amount will do.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
ill grab some off someone in about a month :) any amount will do.
No probs, should have grown enough by then!
I'd like some to please?
Is there a wait? I'm happy to wait as long as I'm not forgotten :)
Haha yes there is starting to be a bit of a waiting list - you are #6.

@ethana123 if you get this message tonight shoot me your address, I'm going to the PO tomorrow to send @ijg3956 some bits so can post you your chaeto then if you want. You can just Paypal me the postage fee rather than send a satchel.

Status
Not open for further replies.