Reef Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Photo 2 is very similar. Could be it. The only difference of note is the fronds appears shorter, stiffer and more tightly packed. It is very similar though and I think you nailed it.....:)

What do you think @ijg3956....?
Not much to work on, but from what you have described, it sound like it to me. Colouration will be dependant on light intensity and photoperiod.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
This is very close and appears to be from the database you provided pics from...
image.jpg

What I like about this ID is that it is a WA species, and this is where my LR came from over 6 years ago.....:)

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
So how do you get this free chaeto? Never used macro before, anyone care to explain how it works or link me to a thread?

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
You can put yourself on the list in the genuine American chaeto algae thread in general discussion.

I just sent a few varieties to the awesome initiator of all this for grow out and sharing. I did receive some of the GACA and have shared it all amongst WA reefers.

Since found out there are others with this over here in WA. It was a bit invasive for me, took over and blocked out others varieties I'm trying to encourage.

ijg3956 deserves all the credit in kicking this off with the GACA type.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
So how do you get this free chaeto? Never used macro before, anyone care to explain how it works or link me to a thread?
@JimmyDang, you must remember that the point of this is if you receive the macro though this program, you ARE required to cultivate it and pass it on (for free). If you have no intention of doing this, then do not bother putting yourself on the list!

Best for all users of this thread to go back to the beginning and read the ORIGINAL INTENT of the program.

I must say is it FANTASTIC to see the community spirit keeping this program going.

I agree with the above post that @ijg3956 deserves all the credit for initiating this program, however, those involved should equally be commended for abiding by his original intent.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
I agree...lots of macro has been returned back into the system of sharing. It's even spread to WA. I'm more than happy to have been able to split up and share over here.

Also feel good to send ijg3956 other varieties for grow out, it's his passion that has benefited all.....:)

Cheers dr_schell....and may I add that this place is very fortunate to have you around too. I certainly find your passion and knowledge most interesting. You should also be commended.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
@JimmyDang, you must remember that the point of this is if you receive the macro though this program, you ARE required to cultivate it and pass it on (for free). If you have no intention of doing this, then do not bother putting yourself on the list!

Best for all users of this thread to go back to the beginning and read the ORIGINAL INTENT of the program.

I must say is it FANTASTIC to see the community spirit keeping this program going.

I agree with the above post that @ijg3956 deserves all the credit for initiating this program, however, those involved should equally be commended for abiding by his original intent.

Hmm..I was just asking. Never mind then.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
@dr_schell and @ijg3956

Further research reveals the following......

Cladophora Prolifera appears to be a more temperate species in WA, found around Perth and Albany.....but....:)

Cladophora catenata is a tropical strain from WA. exactly where my original live rock came from. I am convinced the chaeto I sent to ijg3956 is this. I have added the range as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am positive with this ID, the photo is a strong resemblance and the range seems to match well.....:)

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
@dr_schell and @ijg3956

Further research reveals the following......

Cladophora Prolifera appears to be a more temperate species in WA, found around Perth and Albany.....but....:)

Cladophora catenata is a tropical strain from WA. exactly where my original live rock came from. I am convinced the chaeto I sent to ijg3956 is this. I have added the range as well.

View attachment 15974

View attachment 15975

I am positive with this i.d, the photo is a strong resemblance and the range seems to match well.....:)

Yes certainly looks like it. When my mate's son gets back from the US in September, I'll take him a sample. He's doing post grad studies in Marine Biology.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere

Yes since @chimarea and I started this, Pete (chimarea) has probably supplied more than anyone as it grows extremely well under his par lamps. I just got the ball rolling. I'm hoping to do the same with 5 new macros later this year. Next year I'll be turning my attention to inverts with the same thing in mind (beginning with snails - I have some beauties).

I also agree that we seem to be straying from the original purpose in some instances. After reading your post Doc, even I went back and read my original post. Reviewing it is a good idea for all imo.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
A COPY OF MY POST WHEN I STARTED THIS CAMPAIGN
A Good Time To Remind Ourselves Of The Goals & Purpose.

I have posted this here instead of classifieds for a reason & hopefully the moderators will understand the reasoning and allow it to stay. The reason this is in the forums is that I want this to be for members that actually use the Reefuge, not just those that log on to scour the classifieds.

I have genuine american chaeto and with @chimaera 's help, I'm propagating it so as to make it more readily available to Reefuge members. It is being sold elsewhere for $40+ for a 50c coin sized piece and it seemed to me that I would like to make it more readily available.

Here's the deal:
  1. I or another who has joined this deal, will provide you a fair amount of chaeto for free, all you have to do is send a self addressed 500gm satchel to the person supplying it to you.
  2. You in turn, agree to offer other reefuge members the same deal in this thread. That way this becomes self perpetuating.

I'm trusting that the friendly members here will enter into the spirit of this rather than on-selling it, otherwise I could have sold it myself, hell knows I need the money but that's not the point. If you do sell some, please share a few out for free within the reefuge first.

I'm "hoping" that by the end of 2013 that this will be widely available within the reefuge membership.
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_crossfingers.gif

Why here? Because I like the spirit & friendliness of this forum and want to contribute something.

Status
Not open for further replies.