Off-Topic

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Getting a new car... Help?
So I know nothing about cars at all. What I do know is that I want something sporty, I need it to be able to take a thrashing without ruining the car, I want it to be a holden and I have $10k - $15k to spend on it. It also needs to be able to accelerate fast.

What do I buy?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
holden hey? vy ss would be my pick or a vz ss
sporty looks. decent power. but sucks the fuel and insurence.
why do you want it to be fast is the first question?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Apparently you want a Commonwhore.
Not sure about the accelerating fast bit. Pretty sure my G6 will keep one of those ecotec V6 shitboxes in the rear view mirror. :D
They do a supercharged V6, but the specs still aren't that appealing. 171kw on premium for a supercharged 6 in a body that big is pretty boring. 195kw in an inline 6, now that's fun, and fun spelt F-O-R-D. :p

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
V

'vspec'

The way fuel is going, I cant even afford to run mine anymore.
Tragic stories of $30 lasting for 2 weeks coming from mates who have dumped the 8's for something that runs off a smelly rag.
Admittedly, doesn't have the same grin factor, but you can still pick up something of Asian or European origin that has the goods.

all links below, clicky clicky
Clubsport range

Dont forget the Senator range

CSV example

aliveimages.carsales.com.au_carsales_car_private_cp5097797204971659824.jpg

RX7 ~ editors pick for sure!

Audi range

Supra range

Nissan range

VW Jetta

Hell, I'd even keep an eye on the volvo C70 / V70R range.
People do them up and if you pull that slanted logo off, it can be a sweet blend of quality and ride pep.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Admittedly, doesn't have the same grin factor, but you can still pick up something of Asian or European origin that has the goods.
When I first read this I thought you were talking about picking up a member of the opposite sex aka a prostitute - after reading it a few more times I am still not sure :p

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i was talking to him today. he is limited to non v8 and no turbo, and it has to be auto. restricts things alot!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
If you're power limited, then supercharged probably isn't an option. Also, the fact that it's supercharged and done up (that bonnet screams dickhead driver) is usually an indication that the 147,000km that's on the clock is probably a thrashed 147,000km. If you want to go for hotted up, you're better off building yourself on a little old ladies car, or buy from someone you know has taken care of it.
Little comments in there like new cylinder heads installed 2000km ago should beg questions like why? You generally don't do engine work then sell it unless you baked it and are fixing it to get rid of it.

That's also going to attract you *a lot* of attention from the cops. Not sure that you want *that much* attention.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah just looked it up, Mel is not allowed to drive it. She can't drive manual, and is not allowed a v8, so I am limited in what I actually like.

Ah well, time to keep looking.

V

'vspec'

Maybe, but its already had some dollars poured into it.
Lot better to pick someone elses trade offs, cause dipping in your own pocket is expensive.

i was talking to him today. he is limited to non v8 and no turbo, and it has to be auto. restricts things alot!
Can anyone say VW golf. haha

you on your P's D?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Yeah just looked it up, Mel is not allowed to drive it. She can't drive manual, and is not allowed a v8, so I am limited in what I actually like.

Ah well, time to keep looking.
It's a 6 cyl, but supercharged will be an issue for power restrictions even though you can buy a factory 6 cyl with more horsepower than that thing - their supercharged 6s weren't exactly high horse power (though I suspect you could do a lot more).

Anything that looks worked on is always a risk - if it's being sold, then chances are that it's been given a hiding already, and it's probably due for a whole lot of work that won't be cheap. Anything that's pretty much factory might be a little more boring, but better chance that it's been taken care of, and probably good for a lot more miles. And they don't attract unwanted attention.
If it was their pride and joy that they took good care of and never thrashed it and they just made it for show, and so and so forth, then they'd need a real convincing story as to why they're selling it... and chances are they'd be asking for a lot of money.

But.. I'd always be wary of cars that look good. The types of drivers who do that to a commodore are the types of drivers that they usually have a field day with when they decide to give you a random breath test, drug test, and while they're at it decide that they have grounds to search the car and go over it for defects. And shit, at this point you probably haven't done anything wrong yet.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Lot better to pick someone elses trade offs, cause dipping in your own pocket is expensive.
But that's the problem with that mindset - your risk of getting an abused piece of shit increases exponentially. If the car was really worth the money they poured into it, it's less likely they'd sell it. If it was turning into a money pit, chances are they'll sell cheap and hope some one bags it.
Again, little things like new cylinder heads recently installed should be ringing really loud alarm bells. If they were necessary you should be worried, if they were just a planned upgrade, then why waste a lot of money only to sell it?

Sure, occasionally there are good cars available for not a lot. But the risk of the case being otherwise is a lot higher than buying a stock car.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Can anyone say VW golf. haha

you on your P's D?
Nah dude. Fully licensed with Manual license. Mel on the other hand... P plater, does not know how to drive a manual and is not willing to learn :(

It's a 6 cyl, but supercharged will be an issue for power restrictions even though you can buy a factory 6 cyl with more horsepower than that thing - their supercharged 6s weren't exactly high horse power (though I suspect you could do a lot more).

Anything that looks worked on is always a risk - if it's being sold, then chances are that it's been given a hiding already, and it's probably due for a whole lot of work that won't be cheap. Anything that's pretty much factory might be a little more boring, but better chance that it's been taken care of, and probably good for a lot more miles. And they don't attract unwanted attention.
If it was their pride and joy that they took good care of and never thrashed it and they just made it for show, and so and so forth, then they'd need a real convincing story as to why they're selling it... and chances are they'd be asking for a lot of money.

But.. I'd always be wary of cars that look good. The types of drivers who do that to a commodore are the types of drivers that they usually have a field day with when they decide to give you a random breath test, drug test, and while they're at it decide that they have grounds to search the car and go over it for defects. And shit, at this point you probably haven't done anything wrong yet.

Yeah true dude. I need the car to last for a while, and I need it to be able to handle my driving. I really do thrash the shit out of the car when I drive. So the car needs to be able to handle it day in day out for the next 10 years.