Off-Topic

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
if you thrash the shit out of your car i wouldn't get the commodore they fall apart :P

only problem with that kind of KMS is your right on the verge when everything starts breaking. at that age id be doing a trans flush. dif service, suspension, new rad + all pipeing , new mounts etc.

whats the most you are willing to spend ? are you getting a loan or paying cash?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
As far as commonwhores go, both of those are a bit more like it. Modern cars that have been looked after (including proper servicing) should seriously be able to pull 250,000km before anything major starts going wrong. Even then, there are plenty of modern cars that have well past that without too many major issues. That said, both of those cars are 9 years old, so they've already had the best part of their lives.
120-130,000 isn't that bad for a car of that vintage - only talking average around 15,000km a year which is pretty good. Plenty of fleet vehicles do a lot more than that. Less would be nice, but being realistic, they aren't new cars.
Low KM cars will either be rare, newer, more expensive or any combination of those.

Don't worry so much about things breaking - they're cars - they can just as easily go half a million miles without a hitch as they can need a new engine before they're 5 years old. Just know that with a 9 year old car that the risk is higher than a newer car. The less it's been thrashed, the better chance of it being fine. The more common the car, the cheaper the parts will be if it does break.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
if you go a commodor with p-plates you will get pulled over almost every drive, coppas are ruthless towards p-platers in those type of cars

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
if you go a commodor with p-plates you will get pulled over almost every drive, coppas are ruthless towards p-platers in those type of cars
That's because most P platers driving commonwhores need to be pulled over, have their licenses cancelled and their cars crushed :D
Cops are pretty damn lenient on kids in this state! When I was a pup in South Oz, if you got booked for anything on your Ps, you lost your license for 6 months, end of story. You had 6 points, and even a low grade speeding fine cost 3, and the violation of probationary conditions took the rest. The only thing it did do was made us selective about where and when. :D

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
If you thrash a car everytime you drive it, it doesnt matter what you buy its not going to last 10 years without a LOT of money spent on maintenance!

Get a diesel nissan patrol or toyota landcruiser. Anyhing under half a million k's is sweet, thrash the piss out of it all you want and it can take it (within reason!). Keep it full of oil and it will never die.

Best of all it will stop you driving like a dickhead (because they dont really do anything fast) and wont attract attention from the fuzz.

V

'vspec'

This topic is academic.;) I do agree with you, prob more than I should do old man! (referring to you dave!) ~ but you may also be overlooking a couple vital components that fit into the topic as well.

Cars aren't meant to last forever, so enjoy them people. If you want it to last forever, then put in extra of your own money. Of course the car has been thrashed, unless grandma has had it since new, the chances of any car being a virgin above 5thousand RPM is unlikely.
Any male between the age of 18 - 35 will have given it a hiding by default. (some chica's too mind you). But its not to say you wont find some great examples, that have had dollars thrown at them, and are of decent strength. Granted, maybe not your run of the mill commodore that was shit from the factory to begin with, but more specificly as examples, some of the jap spec, that have been engineered to take a decent amount of abuse oem, let alone upgraded.

Your also prob waving off the biggest issue with people today, let alone people that have a thirst for doing up cars. Its the hair trigger chase 8/10, its the journey and the impulse, then its on to the next money pit. Unless there is sentimental value, or a financial benefit (which is left stock anyways) you will find "parting ways" is not really the issue.

Yes, I agree with the unwanted attention factor, but who can honestly say what pulls the heat and what doesn't.
Go fast goodies doesn't exactly make it so, I personally believe you can see the persona of the traffic and more importantly the mindset of the driver, so of course cops would see it. My car is a heap now, but back in the day it had presence, and I can count on one hand how many times i've had the fuzz look my way. If you display wank factor and your playing the numbers game within the cops vision, your going to get flashed.

Thats my thoughts on the subject anyways

D, your going to have to crack that manual nut, she's got to learn dude. All women need to know how to drive stick..lol

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
D, your going to have to crack that manual nut, she's got to learn dude. All women need to know how to drive stick..lol
Thats soo true, its not hard to drive a manual and its like riding a bike (once you learn you never forget). Mind you I have been trying to cinvince my wife to learn to drive for nearly 9 years!

V

'vspec'

Mind you I have been trying to cinvince my wife to learn to drive for nearly 9 years!
well there's your problem right there. Try to convince her, not turn to some weird bondage ritual ..lol

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Buy a camry they will crap all over a Ford and holden.My mate just bought one for the money your spending he loves it.The cops won't look at you.And have a better re sale value.There much more reliable aswell.

Sent from someone who tries to care.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Just remember Jif your getting a secured loan the car has to be under 7 years old to qualify.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Some Camrys seem to be alright, but their driving dynamics seem to be rubbish. Even in the new sportivos that are 200kw, they're let down by their woeful handling in comparison to either falcons or commodores. I know people with Camrys that have been shit boxes, and they don't exactly drive hard. I know people with Camrys that have been pretty reliable. Their build features and quality seems to be a little bland, though I can think of far less appealing cars.
We have a stack of them in our fleet that are a few years old, and they're nothing to write home about. The interiors aren't that comfortable, the build is average, and the centre console is below average (newer ones seem to be better) in terms of styling and usability.
Depending on the driver they're probably not bad value, but they're no where near the quality of either a falcon or (sadly) a commonwhore IMO.
That said, there are probably a lot worse cars on the market.

The fact that they're light makes them more fun to throw around though. I'd buy a commodore (and I'll walk before that happens) over a camry, but cars are like shoes. They don't fit everyone.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
pete go take a falcon BF s2 with the 6speed auto for a test drive. i think you will change your opinion!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
that could be for two reasons. most likely it had rims on it they took them off to sell separate and they could only find xt wheels to buy, ive done that before to sell a car :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
that could be for two reasons. most likely it had rims on it they took them off to sell separate and they could only find xt wheels to buy, ive done that before to sell a car :p
They should have kept the factory rims even if they put on fancy ones. Those factory alloys cost a packet :D
Would have been better off taking the hub caps off and letting them go bare. Two things pissed me off when I had an XT - those hub caps, and the fact that I had the lighter interior lol.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
They should have kept the factory rims even if they put on fancy ones. Those factory alloys cost a packet :D
Would have been better off taking the hub caps off and letting them go bare. Two things pissed me off when I had an XT - those hub caps, and the fact that I had the lighter interior lol.
thats true but they most likely sold the stocks xr rims to get the new rims ;)
they are so ugly !

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
thats true but they most likely sold the stocks xr rims to get the new rims ;)
they are so ugly !
I like most of the factory rims. Really don't like a lot of after market rims - there are some exceptions, but some look just a little too wanky. Anything chrome needs to be very, very carefully considered :D At some point (usually when you get older) you want mean with class, not mean with wanker boots that look like the owner is a kid :D

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I worked in a dealers only motor auction house for 5 years taking care of holden leasing as well as for finance, after inspecting and valuing 15 cars a day for 5 years and I can tell you there are reasons why the fords depceicate so much more.

The head office of the company I used to work for is in melbourne. If you want and intro let me know.