Tank Journal Archive

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
Getting Back On The Bike
So after a horrid issue with white spot and killing all but one fish, i decided to leave the tank alone due to work commitments, busy schedules leading to Christmas and general lack of motivation because of constraints. I didn't have enough time to do water changes and give the tank the proper attention that it needed. Because of that, some of my acro suffered RTN.
One month on, and i have now found the motivation to dive in head first. I introduced another fish three days ago and it's doing quite happily. I bought a Red corris wrasse from Dave at Deer Park. He had issues with the Orange Back Fairy wrasse at first, but they have now sorted out their differences and share the same space. I added some more rock to the scape as it seemed a little too empty and bulky. After some re-arranging, i must say, it looks a whole lot better. It still looks bare but as everyone knows in this hobby, things are best taken SLOW.

I've now hooked up the doser and am dosing Alk and Cal to the tank. Also added a Reactor to deal with nitrate and phosphate issues. since adding it and leaving it for two weeks, the corals seem a lot happier and more extended. the only ones that seemed to take longer than the rest to take a liking to cleaner water were the zoas and palys. But even they're starting to open up more! I'll just dose some more vitamin C into the tank for zoas and see how we go.

P.S sorry for the lack of input on the fuge of late. as stated before, had to deal with some reefing demons before giving it another crack.

Bring on the New Year :D

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you didn't treat your remaining fish by hyposalinty AND leave you display fishless for 6 weeks, then you have just introduced another fish to get sick. Simple fact of life because of marine ich's lifecycle I'm afraid. It's highly likely you are about to have the same issues all over again.

I hope I'm wrong but afraid I won't be :(

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
P.S sorry for the lack of input on the fuge of late. as stated before, had to deal with some reefing demons before giving it another crack.
You never need to apologise for lack of input here, you are a valued member Daniel and everyone comes and goes as they please and as they can :brb :)

I know its hard to look at things this way right now, but you've just had an invaluable experience that will change the way you approach reefing from here on in - it teaches you where the tipping points are when combining different animals in a small space. We've all been through it in this hobby and sometimes the result of our time, money and effort is a kick in the guts, other times its a really enjoyable outcome that you get to take in every day when you look at the tank. I think the fragility and challenge of that is part of the appeal of this hobby for a lot of us.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Mate, I know exactly what you have been through and it's the worst thing to happen to a tank. I needed a day off work I was so crushed when I lost my four footer to ICH.
Welcome back to a new chapter in your reefing career. We are here to support you.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
thanks for all the support guys! this is why i love this site! @Ian G thanks for the input. ive monitored things very closely and from all accounts things are doing okay for the time being. i took my time acclimating the fish by floating it for an hour and then introducing water from the DT over a period of an hour and a half. he swims all around the tank constantly looking for rocks or food to pick up with its mouth and goes nuts over frozen mysis. The trickiest part is trying to get him onto pellets :/
But so far so good. keeping up the feeding and also using some garlic to help enrich food

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
dont put your head down mate, we all live and learn, hopefully we do a lot of research to prevent things but even the most advanced aquarists have the simplest of issues just keep swimming :)

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
hey guys!! not much to add really! still fishless and will be for at least another month! having no fish in there does make you go crazy i must admit but ive invested my time in some corals and re-scaping my tank. i shall take a FTS today if i get the chance :)
Hope all is well with your tanks :D excited for these next 4 weeks to blow by!