Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Getting Ready For The Move
We finally sold the house after being rooted around by numerous buyers. Luckily it looks like the timing will be spot on with the new apartment being finished just in time.
It's only a 2 km move, and thankfully I'll have the help of @somethingfishy76 to put it all together.
We did his tank a little while back and it went as smooth as silk so there shouldn't be too many dramas.
In anticipation of the move, I've resisted the temptation to add any fish or corals since the new tank was setup but I've been talking to Atlas Aquarium to get something nice to put in at the same time as the move to avoid any clashes.
Ben's going to have a look and see what he can get ready to coincide with the move.
It should be interesting.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Any ideas on what the new addition might be?? I like your thinking of doing it during the move to avoid the aggression though :)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I keeping my Yellow Tang and would like another Tang. Considering a Yellow Eye Kole, if I can find a smallish one. Or a Purple Tang.
I will also keep my Flame Hawkfish and Cleaner Wrasse.
A bit later I want to add a flock of Anthias and that should about do it.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Just a side story on the move.
Last week I rang iinet, my NBN provider, and gave them notice that I'll be leaving this address and will be closing down my account with them on the 11th April. The new place doesn't have NBN yet so I can't just transfer the account (plus I lose my phone number, which is a real shit).
Anyway, "No trouble at all Dave, we'll log that in and get that done for you".
Then their brilliant system proceeded to cut me off 2 days later on the 11th March - no internet, no phone - great for my business.
After multiple (mobile) phone calls and being on hold for ages they managed get me back on line by creating a new account. The next day I received a warm congratulations on my new account under a new username. Then the next day I received another warm congratulations on my new account under yet another new username.
After I was back on line the netphone service was continually cancelled despite being reassured it was all good through numerous phone calls.
So currently everything is working, fingers crossed it will stay that way till next month.
Oh! I just received a monthly bill from iinet for 18c????? WTF!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Given that you mentioned developers I assume this is a new unit you are moving too? If so, wouldn't they be required to run fibre throughout the development?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Given that you mentioned developers I assume this is a new unit you are moving too? If so, wouldn't they be required to run fibre throughout the development?
Yep. there is cat6 through the whole building. The arsholes haven't applied for NBN yet, so I don't know what they have in mind. It may be satellite.
I think they're waiting till the Corporate Body is formed so that they can get everyone to agree to pay for it. It use to be free connection from the pit to the comms room before f%#*ing Abbott got in, now it's about $500 per unit.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Bugger!!

They are starting to do the NBN work around my place - I am waiting anxiously to see where they are going to locate the nodes ..

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Bugger!!

They are starting to do the NBN work around my place - I am waiting anxiously to see where they are going to locate the nodes ..
That's great that they are finally getting it to you. It's a shame that they will only be using copper from the node to premises.
Let's hope your not too far from the node, they just don't give a shit about the drop-off the further you live from the node.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Let's hope your not too far from the node, they just don't give a shit about the drop-off the further you live from the node.
Unfortunately, not enough people are aware of this issue. I live on an internal block and so I am 250m from the street frontage before I even start looking for the node - and the prospective VDSL2 speed drops by around 60% over the first 300m!!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Unfortunately, not enough people are aware of this issue. I live on an internal block and so I am 250m from the street frontage before I even start looking for the node - and the prospective VDSL2 speed drops by around 60% over the first 300m!!
It's just absolute bullshit what they've done. Its going to come back and bite them in the arse one day and cost heaps more to fix it.