Tank Journal Archive

reef_newbie

Feb 23, 2016
Getting Started - January Thru May
Hi everyone,

I decided to pop over here, as it seems like a great community, and the tank journaling features really appeal to me.

We have had a freshwater cichlid tank for the past 5 years, and the other half has been researching marine extensively for the past 3.

It has been about 5 months since we actively decided to go marine. We live in the tropics, with a small but active reefing community. I have learned a lot in such a short space of time and am really looking forward to the journey :)

reef_newbie

Feb 23, 2016
January:
Beach trip to collect dry rock. Scrubbing, bleaching, soaking and washing ensued.
Jan - Rocks.jpg

February:
Tank purchase and Equipment gathering
Feb - tank collage.jpg

overflow.jpg 20160216_180307.jpg 20160307_183406.jpg 20160301_183135.jpg

March:
Sump build
March - Sump build.jpg

Cabinets to hide things
March - Cabinets.jpg

April:
Tank drilling
Drilling.jpg

Plumbing. We got a bit stuck here with the plumbing setup - flow rates, appropriate sized pumps, plumbing chiller in-line or separately. But we got there after much researching and advice.
plumbing.jpg

Last edited:

reef_newbie

Feb 23, 2016
Thanks guys :D

We are admittedly getting a bit impatient. When I was putting this together last night I couldn't believe we first started this back in January!

@MagicJ, we probably could collect some things, however we haven't really considered doing that! There are a couple of commercial collectors that we know of that have some great stock. Saying that, we did grab ourselves a couple of Trochus snails over the weekend!

E

ezza

You are doing an amazing job! The system looks great, I love the rock you picked up, what a choice you have! It will be great to see your aquarium develop.