Tank Journal Archive

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Glass Drillin'
ai.imgur.com_QyVUKug.jpg

So, this is the plan for the weir on the tank, aiming for a 2" drain line, so I'll have to pick up new drill bits for the drill resource :P
On a different note, does anyone have ideas/advice for the bulkheads in the glass?

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
what di u need to know about bulkheads
Well, the one that I have now is huge, extends at least an inch either side of the actual hole, I'm wanting to reduce the size of my weir as much as possible.

Any types to avoid?

Best practice to install them?

E.G. found these on Ebay

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
If you were really keen you could put them in a lathe and turn the outside diameter down. That would give you a few extra cm's to play with.

Sam

grimnir

Aug 12, 2013
Parkinson
side note, that masters tank fitting is cheap. same item at Bunning is $27.19 for 50mm - I just bought 3 of them.. time to take em back and visit masters lol

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
side note, that masters tank fitting is cheap. same item at Bunning is $27.19 for 50mm - I just bought 3 of them.. time to take em back and visit masters lol
If in stock at your local store - was out of stock according to website and my postcode :)

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks fellas! now I just have to awkwardly rip apart the weir (Which is NOT easy so far)
It will unfortunately be larger than I wanted, but the original weir was drilled more inwards of the tank and I'll have to roll with that.
Other issue, is that the tank has bracing on the bottom as well, so the weir will also have to go from back to front. not really what I wanted for aesthetic reasons, but will work regardless.

Edit: Weir came out easily, fishing wire trick worked again! (Only took me about 2 hours to think of using it...)

Last edited:

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Okay, Reefuge, here is my offer to you :P
I just bought a lovely 64mm diamond tipped holesaw and arbor to add to the shared resource! (Round a hundred bucks later.....)
Once I finish with that prick though. :P

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
ai.imgur.com_7Vr64hD.jpg

AW YEAHHHHHHHHHH, 50mm bulkhead! :P
Was easier than I thought, however I seem to have made the hole a little skewed....
This was only a test piece though, still went in easily with no issues.
Will mark and drill the tank tomorrow.

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
WHAT THE HELL GUYS!?
No one told me cut glass was sharp!!
I thought you had my back! :(
But seriously, ow.
Drilling the bulkheads in the tank now!
Good news too? It wasn't tempered glass!
Will update with pics soon.

P.S. am I updating this too often? Would you lot prefer to see less updates/more updates with importance?

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Don't mind me, just being a cute motherfucker!
ai.imgur.com_VmL7ic3.jpg

Went quite well! However again, the holes weren't perfectly straight.
ai.imgur.com_wHefVH4.jpg

They're not in flush yet, as there isn't enough room under the tank to get them in.

ai.imgur.com_irsutuZ.jpg

All in all, pretty happy with myself!
Now I just need to order some glass to replace the smaller weir and I'm good!

Ordered skimmer pump replacement parts (A ceramic shaft and rubber gromets) online? $50 bucks...
Ebay, after talking with a seller to see if he has spares? $20(inc postage) ;D

Leaves.... the sump, plumbing, lights, and I'll be good to go!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
WHAT THE HELL GUYS!?
No one told me cut glass was sharp!!
I thought you had my back! :(
But seriously, ow.
Drilling the bulkheads in the tank now!
Good news too? It wasn't tempered glass!
Will update with pics soon.

P.S. am I updating this too often? Would you lot prefer to see less updates/more updates with importance?
Proceed! I'm liking the quirky humour - I forget I'm actually learning how to make stuff at the same time :p

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Proceed! I'm liking the quirky humour - I forget I'm actually learning how to make stuff at the same time :p
Quirky? Mate! This is my A-game stuff!
Weekend today, so will have to call a local glass joint on Monday (Coincidentally the same day that I'm starting my new job) to organise the new glass for the weir.

Picked up a glass cutter from bunnings today as well, so will need to finalise my sump design (Decided on removing the DSB, and thinking about joining the refugium and liverock together to save space, leaves me with more room for coral propagation and other small things)

EDIT: Cutting glass can eat me.
I now have a recycling bin full of shattered and mis-cut glass.
I'll just get baffles cut for me when I get the weir glass.

Last edited: