Tank Journal Archive

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Goby Dead, Clown Has Popeye
Okay so I thought I should probably add this in here.

A couple of nights ago my coral goby died. I thought there was a parasite in his gills (they were black) so I put him in freshwater for around 5 minutes. Unfortunately he died shortly after I put him back in the display tank. When I took him out I applied slight pressure to his gill and a whole bunch of black egg looking things came out.

This morning when I woke up I noticed my clowns eyes were popping out! It was not just one eye which would apparently indicate some sort of trauma to it but both, which apparently indicates that it is an infection. I rang around and no stores stock antibiotics.

So I did the next best thing. I had some antibiotics left over from when I was sick. I added 1/4 of a pill to the QT along with 1 tablespoon of magnesium sulfate. He is not eating. He is still sticking to the corner of the tank but is not having difficulty breathing. Salinity is at 1020.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Good thinking on the antibiotics - most human antibiotics and antihistamines can be used for pets (since they were originally tested on dogs anyway). You just need to Google the compound name then match it up to the name used in the veterinary trade to work out dosage. Its always handy to keep a spare chemist script for antibiotics for your fishtanks - usually cheaper.