General Gold Coast Spit Looking Good

Discussion in 'General Reef Related Discussion' started by daveH, Dec 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    The changes to the Spit look really good. They’ve tidied up the parking and added more access steps.
    It’s really good for those filling up by the bucket but those with pumps will have to extend their equipment to reach.
    Great water today as always.
    DA884308-EE3A-4921-A019-725DE359E872.jpeg

766C5BEE-6F1F-4759-9051-F986C00858C7.jpeg

6AFA43D7-8633-44E3-9DEE-2E400C5CF51F.jpeg
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love It! Love It! x 2
  2. slin1977

slin1977 Member

Ratings:
    +3,119
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Nice drive for you , hope there were no drips in your car.
  3. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Only the person driving haha.
    Very, very carefull
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Ratings:
    +2,130
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    BRB, going to Australia to get water!!! I shit you not, I could probably sell it for $5/ gallon here in the US because it's Australian, lol. My fellow countrymen aren't too bright.

I wish we had a place like that to go get water. I'd never dose a damn thing, I'd pull up in the Ute and fill up a 1000l tote and do complete changes every week.
    • Love It! Love It! x 1
  5. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    It would be great to have you come out here mate.
    We’re really lucky to have spots like this to get our water.
  6. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Ratings:
    +2,130
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    You guys and gals don't have any idea how great that is. Like I said earlier, I'd kill for something like that. Hell, I'd probably go out and buy a 3-5000l trailer to tow down there to collect water in and have a continuous water change system in place. I looked at an inlet here that's about 200km away and I don't trust that water. It's about 100km south of the Delaware bay and 200 km south of New York City. So it's nowhere as clean as the water there.
  7. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Wow that makes it tough to get clean water.
    The great part about the place in the photo is that there are no islands straight out to sea from the entrance and all the boats and ramps are back inside the inlet so if you collect about an hour before high tide the water is spot on.
  8. Savage Henry

Savage Henry Member

Ratings:
    +341
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    I've been collecting water from an open ocean beach boat ramp at South Durras. The water usually looks nice and blue and has specific gravity 1.029 (on my equipment).

It looks nice and blue in a white bucket.

However, on my last visit, the water I collected must have had weed in it because when I used it there was heaps of sediment in the bottom of my drums. The lesson for me was once again not to collect too close to days of rain (even if collecting from the open ocean) and also to be careful when collecting after heavy seas as you can also end up with a lot of barely visibly detritus in the water that your tank then had to cope with.