Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Gone Out With A Literal Bang !
While watching cricket at 10pm
We heard a noise - water
Both looked over at the tank
IMG_4280.JPG

With in seconds of hearing a little water , there was no doubt what was happening - the 7ft length front seal had popped

No stopping it
Within 6 mins we had no water in the tank
100+ corals and 18 fish

We had lost power as water and got into the electric supply

We had the foresight to grab 2 x 200lt barrels right at the beginning & lean them against the front panel we captured about 300 ltrs of spilling water, while scrambling to the back of the house to grab an ibc

Dumped the ibc into lounge floor
Husband passing rocks to me and me literally throwing them in ibc
No regard for corals at this stage at all
Our priority was getting all the rocks out so fish wouid be easy to catch

Corals all over sand
Fish now flapping - no water we just grabbed them all by hand and threw them
Into one of the barrels

With them now back in water we started up the generator - pumped the fishless barrel water into the ibc

Was enough to just cover rocks
So I then pumped any sump water to ibc
Netted all fish out barrel into ibc & used the remaining barrel water to top it up
Added flow & heat
This is what I saw when power was restored

IMG_9600.PNG

Now how do you remove 1300ltr water - call SES
30 mins later 2 trucks 8 guys restored power - wet vac moved furniture
Can't thank these guys enough for
Giving up sat night

IMG_9554.JPG

SES - your carpets ate ruined & all skirting boats , kitchen kick boarding & possibly cupboards
Who you insured with
RAA - oh good ring then straight away tell them ses says emergency claim
Its 1.40am
Ring RAA - lovely lady Answered after 10 mins says putting you through to assessor who was whispering into phone as to not wake her husband
Tells me she can have carpet people here by 4am
Well no that's fine don't wake him
So 7am carpet man st door
IMG_9601.JPG

Yes 4 bedrooms , office. Lounge dining just like that

Good news is.
All stock survived bar 1 bristle tooth tang whose just vanished
Not so sure about corals
So she's gone - dead - no more
Sad day for us I promise you

Thanks
IMG_9616.JPG

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Soooo sad to see posts like this.

How old was the tank?

It looks like you are on a slab, you need to make sure that your insurance company does an anti chloride treatment otherwise you risk ending up with concrete cancer is 10 years, it is not something that is done standard as you never really get escape of liquids being salt water, it will be a more common treatment that they are used to seeing with escape of liquids over periods of time through magnesite leveling agents.

The stuff runs at about $1500 for a 20l drum

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Soooo sad to see posts like this.

How old was the tank?

It looks like you are on a slab, you need to make sure that your insurance company does an anti chloride treatment otherwise you risk ending up with concrete cancer is 10 years, it is not something that is done standard as you never really get escape of liquids being salt water, it will be a more common treatment that they are used to seeing with escape of liquids over periods of time through magnesite leveling agents.

The stuff runs at about $1500 for a 20l drum
The carpet company is ruining huge fans for approx 5 week
Before relaying I assume insurance company will know this ?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
So so so sorry to hear of this disaster, especially after the feeling of success the day before. Cruel cruel game this reefing business is. IF and only IF there is a positive to all this - you have your bad luck out of the way now before the new tank arrive and you can take your time setting it up exactly how you want it rather than having to rush it.

Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do to help.

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Fed the ibc tonight
All fish looking well and
My baby bristle tooth suddenly appears
Must have hidden in a rock we decide. To keep
Thank goodness wasn't one we threw in the back yard

So no losses :)

Thats awesome..Anyways the great news is cant get any worse so it is all up hill from here on ..Keep posting and let us know how you go.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Ohhhh crap. Forgive my ignorance but was that the new tank? Any ideas on why. Was it bracing or uneven floor/base???

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Ohhhh crap. Forgive my ignorance but was that the new tank? Any ideas on why. Was it bracing or uneven floor/base???
Will let Lesley answer with facts but i think this was the current tank a night after it was moved.
Such a beautiful tank, sad sad day :cry.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
No was the existing 2yr old build
No idea
Some saying the move
Others saying tank that tall needs bottom euro bracing
We will never knew

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
:eek:cry:cry:cry:dead

Not cool. Not what I wanted to read Lesley :( I am glad to hear you were able to rescue all the stock and everyone is okay in the tank :)
Aren't the SES amazing though :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
:eek:cry:cry:cry:dead

Not cool. Not what I wanted to read Lesley :( I am glad to hear you were able to rescue all the stock and everyone is okay in the tank :)
Aren't the SES amazing though :)
Absolutely brilliant
Fish all seem settled in the ibc
Thank you

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
:cry Just read this now...what can I say?

On the upside saving some livestock at least forces you to keep going. Fingers crossed the insurers do their bit without any dramas.

Kind regards,
Angie

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have no words for this Lesley, none at at. :( At least you got all of the critters collected and saved. Just an FYI, those Bristletooth tangs do that, hide in rocks which is why the little shits are so expensive. Do you know where the seal failed?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I have no words for this Lesley, none at at. :( At least you got all of the critters collected and saved. Just an FYI, those Bristletooth tangs do that, hide in rocks which is why the little shits are so expensive. Do you know where the seal failed?
The front length 7ft panel
From one end across to the other
Thank you