Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Good Strong Siphon?
I prefer not to use my mouth but can you please shed some experience on what siphon product strong enough to take small substrates out the tank?

I have been using this .....
apad2.whstatic.com_images_thumb_5_59_Start_a_Siphon__Fish_Tank8bd443bd8ec40809b37f6788051a1957.jpg

and it's no good .. it does the job of siphoning the water out but the flow is not that strong to take detritus out from substrate ...

The drain bucket is lower than the aquarium water level, so basic siphoning requirement should be met.

Any idea would be much appreciated.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I just use a freshwater gravel cleaner. You just shake the end up and down in the water and the syphon starts.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Yup fine sand. I've always wanted to change substrate but unable to do so because the siphon is weak.

I just use clear tubing, without the hand plastic "siphon" part on the end.

For me it is fine, picks up heaps of sand.

You might find the "pump" part of your siphon might take away from some of the sucking power. Maybe try without it? Just with some clear plastic tubing. I think mine is about 12-15mm wide.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Another way is to submerge the entire thing in the water, let the whole tube fill up. Then keep your thumb over one end and keep the wet end under the water.
Lower it down into the bucket and release your thumb.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Another way is to submerge the entire thing in the water, let the whole tube fill up. Then keep your thumb over one end and keep the wet end under the water.
Lower it down into the bucket and release your thumb.
Thanks @gtrxu1 sorry for the silly question ... seems to be easy for all of you hehe