Tank Journal Archive

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Gooey Fts 18th July 2015
GOOEY because I rearranged everything and upset everyone and then took terrible photos of them when they were feeling violated and vulnerable.

First pic is from some point in time over the last week, with everyone rubbing each other inappropriately. Mr. Jiggles needs to go. As does Hammer. I just want to show everyone looking puffy before I show tonight's FTS of everyone sooking...

I apologise for the tiny photos! I sent them to my email address so I could download them to my laptop but didn't realise it would shrink them so small. Note: I can't photograph anything. :p

So yeah, puffy inhabitants, super squished. Kind of ugly layout.

IMG_457253760.JPG

Here's after the rearrangement (temporary) because they're sick of me groping them and I'm sick of coral glue and frustration >_> I'll fix it tomorrow before anyone starts stinging their neighbours...

1: Candy cane will not stay there. Still can't find a good place for it.
2: Not happy with anyone's placement except for the Duncan, when he's at his puffiest Red mushy is not staying there. :p
3: This is a shit photo. Hope you can make out the blurry shapes. :p
IMG_458908171.JPG

Pink-tipped Elegance - still sooking - not too sure about it's placement - pretty sure glue won't hold - definitely sure Urchy will be a dick and knock it off.
IMG_458910791.JPG

Love my new lobo. I swear it's amazing in person...I'm available for reef photography; just sayin'
IMG_458910753.JPG

Under filters - so colours of the puffy things are exaggerated - but I love these zoas I picked up ages ago. They weren't even attached to rock. They were just a minuscule ball of several polyps hiding among random corals on the ground at my LFS :p Can anyone ID the puffy things?
IMG_457097978.JPG

Dat ricordea.

IMG_458908087.JPG

Superman morph I picked up a few weeks ago. It's bloody TINY so hard to get in close for a photo but it's purty.
IMG_457253802.JPG

We added several morphs (some pretty plain blue ones and some striped) and a fluro red one that needs a home.

We also picked up two hermit crabs that are already munching through the hair algae in our tank. I WANT TO HIGH-FIVE THEM.

Anyway, I need to learn how to take good photos (and stop using my iphone :p I have a good camera!) and how to aquascape a reef properly. I went along with fellow Reefuge members today to lots of different stores and saw amazing display tanks so it's a little frustrating to come home and things don't fit together as easily as you hope. :p

tl;dr: Tank is not finished. Corals need rearranging. Ranibranch needs to learn photography skills. :p And stress less.

Long post over. I'm tired and need to go to bed. X_X

Thanks again to the awesome guys today on today's LFS Crawl! Had a lot of fun! I also like flinging money at people. Dangerous in an aquarium/coral shop. All that glass...o_o

Looking good @Ranibranch, had a great time on the crawl. Hey for best result out of a elegance, simply mount or lay it on its side so that it hangs out. They get super big that way. Or if you want it not to get too big too quickly i found sitting it upright in the sand works well. They dont tend to spread as much this way.

Watch that Ric, they are very lethal towards just about anything. They love to grow pretty big so if i where you i would cut it in two or four straight through the mouth. I have done this many times and they come back just fine. That is if it get too big... the upside to this is you might make some money or have frag s to swop. They propagate well. Here is my prize Ric i have cut up about a month ago.
IMG_1509.JPG
IMG_2418.JPG

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Looking good @Ranibranch, had a great time on the crawl. Hey for best result out of a elegance, simply mount or lay it on its side so that it hangs out. They get super big that way. Or if you want it not to get too big too quickly i found sitting it upright in the sand works well. They dont tend to spread as much this way.

Watch that Ric, they are very lethal towards just about anything. They love to grow pretty big so if i where you i would cut it in two or four straight through the mouth. I have done this many times and they come back just fine. That is if it get too big... the upside to this is you might make some money or have frag s to swop. They propagate well. Here is my prize Ric i have cut up about a month ago.
View attachment 50431 View attachment 50432

Did you cry when you cut it in half? I would. o_o It's a gorgeous Ric by the way! They're one of my favourites. <3

It settled in immediately. It didn't shrivel up or have a sook. It's expanded quite a lot this morning. I assume they're quite hardy!

The Elegance settled in too and was wide awake this morning, even with no lights so I think it likes where it is but I don't. It looks wrong. :p I need to move a few things around today so I'll play with placement again.

Thank you for the advice and photos! :)

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Everyone seems pretty happy today! I just need to rearrange everyone today and then I need to step away from the tank again and leave it alone. O___O

I'm happy to announce that I have a large area for something big and obnoxious to go top left of the tank. There's this ugly space there that bugs me but it has to be something that will like being in front of the pump. What likes direct flow and will like being up the top? :p Soft coral? I see a lot of those pretty green Sinularia sp. that would fit there perfectly....but I've never done softies. O_O

I'll see what happens after I rearrange again today....it may get filled with something else :p I just worry that the sides of the tank look ugly and boring to people. :p

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
....but I've never done softies. O_O
TWSS

Sinularia are a great soft coral. Other good ones are Fiji yellow toadstools, or cabbage leather corals.

Elegance corals are found in the sand in nature so you should keep them in the sand at a 30-45 degree angle.

Last edited: