Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Great Day To Get Water
Did an early morning solo run down to the Broadwater and loaded up with some beautiful clean water.
Took all the drums I could fit in the Golf. Water was crystal clear today.
It doesn't take long to fill them by hand, good exercise and you can't beat the surroundings.
IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I hope there were no water spills in the back of the car :)
I'd check your spare wheel well as you will get rust down there carting water like that.

I did my time using those lidded buckets until a fellow reefer gave me a number of the 25L tubs with the little screw top lids. These work really well with a funnel from Bunnings.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I hope there were no water spills in the back of the car :)
No, not a chance. The 4 drums fit perfectly in the back and can't fall over, plus there's a rubber boot liner in there.
I don't usually use the smaller drums but I thought I'd get as much in as I could on this run. Plus they seal super tight.
Not 1 drop of the salty stuff got in my precious car haha.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If it ever did get in there, he'd know soon enough. German and Japanese sheetmetal don't get on too well with salt. I wish I was close enough to the water to collect it regularly.

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
Where are you water collectors aquiring your big drums?....anywhere I'm finding is charging crazy prices

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
Much better, I had been looking at the drums/jerry cans in Bunnings and $20-25 was a bit steep. $11 is easier to swallow!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
So a good old resealable 5 gallon bucket. :D You guys might wanna check food stores for them. They get food grade buckets all the time that they would probably gladly give to you. I get olive buckets all the time from a Greek restaurant.
Some of mine that I have had for years still have a Honey label on them:)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Anything food grade would work. I'm actually going to go try collecting some next weekend. If I go, I'll shoot some pictures. I think the Indian River Inlet is a good place to collect on an incoming tide. The water's about 8 degrees right now, lol

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Check the back of restaurants on garbage collection day and you should get some of the white 25 L screw top drums that have been used for sodium hydroxide. Just rinse them many times with fresh water and they are fine.

Can also use the ones that have been used for detergent, but obviously they have to be rinsed many many times first.