Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
There used to be a copper formalin complex here back in the 70s and I haven't seen it since. that would be what I'd use. I contacted the manufacturer but no response. If they'd give me the damn ratios and molarity I could pass it on and make it myself, bastards. :mad:
I'm going to have to go with non-copper meds and/or hypo as its a cowfish

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
But I want greeeen - she says in a whiny voice (perhaps it should be a wine-y voice with the day I'm having). I'll have one for you as I hear congrats are in order
Hahaha have the whole bottle! (tell them I said it's ok...you'll be fine!) - Thank you :)

The ones I saw in store were a bit darker but like I said, I imagine with some tweaking to diet and surrounds etc the colours could really pop!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Unless one gets killed by the other, this will be my last update about my Chromis schooling attempt. I won't try to add more even though I'm curious about it. I don't want to risk losing these two after I've spent weeks caring for them.

They are doing well in the new tank. I was worried the stress of being harassed by the damsel might kill them but it didn't take long to calm down. First night was spent corralled in the corner by Cain. The next day he allowed them in one half of the tank but no further. Now on day 3 things are peaceful unless I approach the glass - Cain has been making a point of swooping them when I get close and the Chromis have quickly learned this so they start taking evasive action :p By now though Cain is just wondering where's the fire!

The 2 Chromis swim together at all times and they look like they enjoy riding the currents in the tank. They are hovering around the largest soft coral in the tank and I like how it looks. Its added a lot of movement/life and they are quite pretty. Thumbs up for keeping them.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
yep...those are the ones! how stunning are they
I will find out how nice they are in 3 weeks when Kenya comes in again. I also like the 1/2 and 1/2 chromis. Sorry for the hijack M. I'm curious as to how these other guys get on in a tank.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I still say it's a tank size issue. They like to hide in Acropora corals so maybe put them in after you get a decent head? Anyone have them with larger heads of Acropora?

I'm gonna start getting ready to switch around the 57 for the 93 in that corner so it's ready for the chromis. I might just dump them in the coral run at the shop, haven't decided. 12 of the Vanderbuilt's and 12 of the 1/2 black are on order with 2 boxes of other goodies ordered. Not worth the domestic shipping charges for less than 2-3 boxes.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
They look interesting. I found out about these guys as well: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15 1634 3078&pcatid=3078

They look almost identical to Blue/Green Chromis but are apparently a separate species. Someone on MASA reckons they don't kill each other off like the Blue/Green's. Looking at my two I am wondering if what was in the tank at the LFS was a mix of the two species as one has a different body shape to the other, more green/gold on its side and a black margin all the way around its tail. This one is definitely more docile than the other as well. Its tempting me to go back and see if they have more - behave Megan! Only thing is if I go by the LiveAquaria site they are found in different places, so prob not I guess!

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I don't know what it is about fish from Fiji, but generally they're more well behaved than those from Indonesia and the Indian Ocean.
:rolleyes Well...I was just on the CM FB page and noticed they're promoting this less common 'chromis'.

Mind you, I'm not sure if I believe the marketing blurb, but thought these might interest you @Agent M :)

https://www.facebook.com/cairnsmarine/posts/881813935194818

Cheers
Angie
I'd be leery of those as they get older, damsels have a way of becoming little bastards as they age. The Blackmouth damsel we have was great for almost 2 years. We moved tanks from 130l to 225l and he became very aggressive. Everything I'm reading on those Goldbelly damsels is saying they're solitary. Now those 2 little Coral Crouchers in that tank are damn nice little fish, just be careful, they're poisonous.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Unless one gets killed by the other, this will be my last update about my Chromis schooling attempt.
So apparently there is more to tell about my little green Chromis experience. One of the Chromis keeps showing up with injuries. First it was a chunk out of her side, then it was a damaged swollen gill a few days later. Those wounds healed up and a few weeks went by with the fish looking good. Notice today that she is all beaten up again - sore red swollen tail, swollen eye with damage, gaping mouth with wounds. It looks border-line as to whether I should put her down or not - as long as she is still eating well I'll give her some time.

I've seen no signs of aggression between the two Chromis or from my Azure Damsel - NONE. Only at the beginning. So I'm pulling the plug on these two Chromis - they've now been separated and will have to live in separate tanks and possibly new homes.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I wish they were better fish M, but unfortunately they're sneaky aggressive. I've only seen them go at one another a few times, but they kill each other off in short order. Even those Axil chromis will do it to one another. As soon as I can get a couple boxes in from Kenya I'll know about those Vanderbilt chromis.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You don't happen to have a Serpent star in there do you? That would be the culprit if you do. Other than the little ones that live within the rock I'm like a Dalek when it comes to Serpent stars, EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!!!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I do have a maroon coloured one but he eats my turbo snails, I can't see how he would be able to get a Chromis as they sleep in the water column at night