Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Green Dust Algae
Hi everyone.

I am just wondering how I would go about getting rid of Green Dust Algae in my tank. The blenny is slowly eating it, but I can hardly see inside the tank anymore.

I read that I need to leave it for 3 weeks, then it will die.

Thanks.

Edison

Oct 4, 2011
Sydney
Got any pics of this algae? If you can't see inside the tank then there really a big problem. Water changes need quickly, the problem with blooming algae is that it starves everything else of oxygen.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
As Edison mentioned , Keep an eye on oxygen levels
If it was me , I would do some water changes over the next few days , I would also turn the lights off for a couple of days , Feed as little as you can get away with and wet skim the hell out of it :)
But yes we need pics :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
oh you just mean the green algae that grows on the glass? when i had my t5s over my tank i had to clean the glass 2x a day, due to there being so much light on the glass. luckily now with the tight optics of the new led unit i only have to clean it every 2 days

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
As Edison mentioned , Keep an eye on oxygen levels
If it was me , I would do some water changes over the next few days , I would also turn the lights off for a couple of days , Feed as little as you can get away with and wet skim the hell out of it :)
But yes we need pics :)
i have a feeling he is just talking about the build up that grows on the glass when you dont clean it every day.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Sure, will take photos tomorrow. I clean the glass, and in around 3 hours it is green again.
as shown above i have a feeling thats all hes talking about. need pics to confirm but if so its nothing to worry about!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I'd use filter floss to clean the glass and throw it out into my cleaning bucket without squeezing any back into the tank. To try prevent stray spores from being released into the system:eek:

Edison

Oct 4, 2011
Sydney
Oh its jsut on the glass, hahhahahaha. That's normal part of everyday aquarium. I clean mine every 2days to stop build up of algae (this is with very good water quality level). But quick build could mean you may have high nutrient level. Check both Phos and nitrate level.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I will take some photos tonight and make a video. When I clean it off, it looks like green "smoke" is coming off the glass and getting into the water. It is literally like dust. Like baby powder stuck to the glass. It comes off really, really easy. One wipe with the magnet gets rid of it, but every few hours it is right back on the glass.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
thats weeks of algie, you have the start of it what starts off as a light green dust film covering the glass. very normal need to clean it daily or more often depends on light level