Reef Discussion

naqua

Sep 22, 2012
Sandringham
Group buy - mesh netting
@daveH sourced some great looking mesh netting for covering your tank, and I've been in touch with the guy to see what we can arrange to get it over here from the US.

On the ebay listing price is US$1.45 per square metre, shipping will be dependent on how much we order ... So to make things simple I am going to say for now, cost will be $2 per square foot. So a 4x2 tank will need 8 square feet, or $16 worth of mesh. If we get lots of people interested, I'll readjust the order amount accordingly.

If in VIC I'll arrange pickup, otherwise I'm willing to post on to you at cost (I assume a 500g satchel will be enough, so $8).

ai.imgur.com_4QeffKH.jpg

ai.imgur.com_afEROmt.jpg

ai.imgur.com_wfxrwBk.jpg

eBay listing info:
Many of you with open top Aquariums, whether it be a reef, planted, or fish only aquarium, have had the issue of fish jumping out. The problem for tanks with intense lighting is how can you keep the tank open for proper ventilation and cooling, but also how to prevent your expensive livestock from jumping out onto the floor?

I sell light friendly, clear, 1/4" square size, tank safe 100% polypropylene mesh. This is THE BEST netting available for your reef, planted tank, or fish-only tank because it lets the light through to your corals, plants, and fish, allows your tank to cool thru an open top, but it will prevent your fish from jumping out of the tank at the same time. Imagine all the benefits of an open top tank without the worries of losing your expensive livestock!

In the pictures, you will see the three individual screen mesh tops I have constructed for my own 210 gallon SPS reef tank, 100 gallon rimless Chalice coral tank, and 60 gallon LPS reef tank.

With each mesh purchase, I will include simple, easy to follow instructions with pictures for constructing your own mesh tops. These mesh tops look factory original, and can be made in as little as 20 minutes. My instructions cover tanks with top trim and rimless aquariums as well. All parts needed are listed and are available locally to you.

I charge $1.45 per square foot for the mesh. What I need from you are the dimensions (in inches) of each opening you need screen for. In other words, if your tank takes one glass top, you need one mesh screen, two glass tops, then you will have two screens, three glass tops, three screens and so on. For Rimless tanks, please include the entire length and width of the tank, including the thickness of the glass panels.

I sell this mesh in large single pieces if you would like a larger amount, just tell me the size you require. I can provide a width up to 10 feet and as long as you need.

naqua

Sep 22, 2012
Sandringham
Couple of updates:
an extra 2" on all sides for trimming and placement in the mesh frame. It makes it much easier to make the tops. I would recommend anyone in your group buy take their opening measurements, then ad 2" to all sides and get that L x W for the same reason.
The netting is light, but it takes up space. If I can get it in a 15.5" x 9.5" envelope, cost is $23.95. If you have a larger amount, the cost would be $59.95 for a medium flat rate box.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Thanks, @firebird - I'll wait to take payment from anyone until the GB is ready to order.

I guess I should also set a deadline - how about end of Sunday this week, Feb 10 (ie I'll work out totals and place the order next Monday).

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
is this not available in aus anywhere? I have a client that is a plastic wholesaler, they might be able to get it... I can ask on next Monday if you like..

They are selling just the mesh, what do you use for the frame?

naqua

Sep 22, 2012
Sandringham
@alan from what we could find, no. I did look at alibaba etc to ship some in from China, but firstly it's hard to tell whether it's exactly the same as this (which does seem idea) and secondly it's the type of thing they often require massive minimum orders for.

If you can get some then happy to buy from you instead. The stuff listed here is cheap enough in itself, just shipping is a bit of a pain.

I believe the frame is just flyscreen fittings cut to size. I bought some to do the same with bird netting, but it's flimsy and I fear I won't get it to look good! Whereas this has some solidness to it by the looks.

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
Ill send them an email now, whats the stuff called and sizes ECT of it all. If they have it in stock, then we can buy how ever much is needed, they like me :)

naqua

Sep 22, 2012
Sandringham
I only know what's in the listing:
clear, 1/4" square size, tank safe 100% polypropylene mesh

They said they can provide up to 10ft wide so assume that is the size of the roll if that helps.

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
email sent with pics. Will see what they can do. Your prices were good, but postage was going to add up. If i can help, im happy :)

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
No good news sorry, they aren't able to locate anything like it.

They did suggest that hardware stores have stuff they use for insect netting in 1/4 inch or to try knitters mesh (like used in scrubbers) but i dont know if you can get any that big...

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
No good news sorry, they aren't able to locate anything like it.

They did suggest that hardware stores have stuff they use for insect netting in 1/4 inch or to try knitters mesh (like used in scrubbers) but i dont know if you can get any that big...
Fair enough, thanks for trying anyway.

So far just me and @firebird. @daveH you need some, right?

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
God damn it ! This would have Been awesome for me as I want to make up a li for the yasha and get a white ribbon eel in it !