Reef Discussion

naqua

Sep 22, 2012
Sandringham
Phew! Was starting to get worried I dropped it on the way to the postbox or something. Hopefully @alan has his by now too?

Make sure to post pics of your setups, all! I'll hopefully get around to putting mine together this weekend (or attempting to at least).

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Mesh worked out great - very neat cover now - absolute minimum light loss.
I used the smaller aluminium frame from Bunnings.

View attachment 13055

No more carpet surfing guys :)
VERY impressed! Nice one.

When you say 'smaller frame', I don't remember seeing options? I bought some but it's fairly chunky ... might have to look at the larger store near here to see what they have.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
The regular framing is 23mm x 11mm - the smaller frame is 20mm x 7mm.
It doesn't sound like much of a difference but it really looks a lot less bulky.
The bunnings I went to only had the 20mm in brown, white and bare aluminium.
I got the bare aluminium thinking it would look OK till I put it under the lights, the glare nearly blinded me so I painted it black - worked well.
You will definitely need one of those grooved wheely thingys to get the rubber cord in the grooves.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
alh3.googleusercontent.com__rJpZyj55Nls_UVA1qZbY0BI_AAAAAAAAIW10710eb500f1227d829dae5c8384b673.jpg

My custom 'mod' to get around the HOB sticking out from the back. I thought about doing a corner and netting this area, but this seemed much, much easier.
alh6.googleusercontent.com__kc0CNtu1uJc_UVA1zosSvHI_AAAAAAAAIWc403a91daa09443b9b33e35c39bf2748.jpg

Have to say I found it a massive pain in the arse. Maybe I bought the wrong sized spline, but it wouldn't stay put so I ended up having to use pliers to close the gap in the frame a bit all the way around, then crimp the edge over the spline once in. Also once I finished, I noticed that the netting had split at one side :mad: but luckily the tension keeps it from producing a gap, at least nothing noteworthy, so I decided to leave it rather than start again.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__yRrBPwL1F2I_UVA1_FyojeI_AAAAAAAAIW74c6aa3a3a5318fb3cd9c930b2da9d6d.jpg

So tip for those yet to do this - don't over roll your netting into the grooves - in fact barely bother to roll it before applying the spline. Just carefully roll the spline into place. Oh, and buy the right sizes :rolleyes

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
alh3.googleusercontent.com__rJpZyj55Nls_UVA1qZbY0BI_AAAAAAAAIW10710eb500f1227d829dae5c8384b673.jpg

My custom 'mod' to get around the HOB sticking out from the back. I thought about doing a corner and netting this area, but this seemed much, much easier.
alh6.googleusercontent.com__kc0CNtu1uJc_UVA1zosSvHI_AAAAAAAAIWc403a91daa09443b9b33e35c39bf2748.jpg

Have to say I found it a massive pain in the arse. Maybe I bought the wrong sized spline, but it wouldn't stay put so I ended up having to use pliers to close the gap in the frame a bit all the way around, then crimp the edge over the spline once in. Also once I finished, I noticed that the netting had split at one side :mad: but luckily the tension keeps it from producing a gap, at least nothing noteworthy, so I decided to leave it rather than start again.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__yRrBPwL1F2I_UVA1_FyojeI_AAAAAAAAIW74c6aa3a3a5318fb3cd9c930b2da9d6d.jpg

So tip for those yet to do this - don't over roll your netting into the grooves - in fact barely bother to roll it before applying the spline. Just carefully roll the spline into place. Oh, and buy the right sizes :rolleyes
One needs to apply it like replacement fly screen. Lay it over the channel then ease the spline into the channel with the wheel thingy you got from the wheel thingy aisle. Too much tension will cause this split Chim.

naqua

Sep 22, 2012
Sandringham
Can any provide the link or what to search at least please?
Hrm looks like the eBay listing is not there any more, but as the seller provided his email on it I figure I can post it here too.

Guy is called David Grim, hopefully he still sells it. Really cheap for the netting, shipping can be pricey from the US but I reckon still cheap including shipping.

grim1214@bellsouth.net

Cheers