Reef Discussion

hoangii

Feb 2, 2013
Footscray
update #2
I seem to be unable to update my first post so im just making this to keep note of the people who are interested and will be getting a unit. I will be picking these up for melbournians so then there wont be extra any extra charges in postage and will organize a meet at Deer Park Aquarium for pick up or people can pop by to my place in Footscray :)

@holly ??x3
@Sam Parker x2 = $250
@gtrxu1 x1 = $125
@Joele x1 = $125
@izzywitt x1 = $125

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Ok, so we have a couple of Qs:

First up:
It says it can't fail b/c it's digital, but IMO digital are just as prone - sometimes more so - to glitches/failure. Do they come with a warranty or something?

Next:
Does its pump have a sensor to ensure that it never runs dry?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
@TheJordans I asked in the original thread - no answer about expected length of operation. It's all good to give a 1 year warranty but it's superseded by consumer laws. So, I'd just really like to know how long they expect it to operate. If they say a year I'd be leaning towards a Tunze as they give at least a 2 yr minimum and are a bigger brand with known support. It's a weigh up really.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I don't think too much could go wrong with them. Perhaps the pump could fail, but you can replace that with anything really?

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
@TheJordans I asked in the original thread - no answer about expected length of operation. It's all good to give a 1 year warranty but it's superseded by consumer laws. So, I'd just really like to know how long they expect it to operate. If they say a year I'd be leaning towards a Tunze as they give at least a 2 yr minimum and are a bigger brand with known support. It's a weigh up really.
meh, my tunze 3155 lasted between 3 and 4 months.... though my nano tunze is doing ok (much simpler design I guess)..

I will use an adruino, relay and some cheap float switches as backup for both this and the tunze, cutting the power to the pumps if they overfill...

Last edited:

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Ok, so we have a couple of Qs:

First up:
It says it can't fail b/c it's digital, but IMO digital are just as prone - sometimes more so - to glitches/failure. Do they come with a warranty or something?

Next:
Does its pump have a sensor to ensure that it never runs dry?
Hi Bek,
You are right, digital can fail, but every purchase you make be it analogue or digital can fail. As for warranty, the Smart ATO comes with a 2yr warranty from purchase date .:)
The auto feedback security technology has protection from running dry with flashing LED & audible (musical I think) alert.

Hi Holly,
That is a hard question to answer, your perception of how long an item would / could be expected to operate could be miles away from what someone else expects. With a 2yr warranty I'm going to have to say I would expect it to operate for 2yrs lol.
For every post found saying how good the Tunze Osmo is, I can a post saying the direct opposite. I like the Tunze products, use 5 of them on the tank now with no problems, after the reviews & homework I did, the Osmo was something I considered. Hence why we have an Avast ATO at the moment.

Hope it helps you all :)

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Bek,
You are right, digital can fail, but every purchase you make be it analogue or digital can fail. As for warranty, the Smart ATO comes with a 2yr warranty from purchase date .:)
The auto feedback security technology has protection from running dry with flashing LED & audible (musical I think) alert.

Hi Holly,
That is a hard question to answer, your perception of how long an item would / could be expected to operate could be miles away from what someone else expects. With a 2yr warranty I'm going to have to say I would expect it to operate for 2yrs lol.
For every post found saying how good the Tunze Osmo is, I can a post saying the direct opposite. I like the Tunze products, use 5 of them on the tank now with no problems, after the reviews & homework I did, the Osmo was something I considered. Hence why we have an Avast ATO at the moment.

Hope it helps you all :)
It is a difficult question - it's a shitty line in the legislation for consumer laws :P I thought it was a year warranty on the thread? 2 years is great then.

hoangii

Feb 2, 2013
Footscray
Hehe no worries @TheJordans no pressure. Well you have till end of next week to make up your mind otherwise no rush.

My pleasure to organize this. A little bit short notice in my opinion but in the same way it's like an early Christmas present for everyone. :D

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Had a quick look at one of these today, and OMG that pump is small. I'm sure it will fit through the filler cap on the square water containers reefers normally use.
When funds permit, I'll jump on one in a heart beat.