Reef Discussion

Jul 31, 2013
Ohh well it is only 12v not a big deal, only affects the pump haven't modified or damaged in any way the main unit...
We are awaiting the arrival of the power extension leads, we are also awaiting on 12V solenoids as well, which can be used with the Smart ATO if you want to use your RO/DI unit directly,instead of using a water storage container.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
We are awaiting the arrival of the power extension leads, we are also awaiting on 12V solenoids as well, which can be used with the Smart ATO if you want to use your RO/DI unit directly,instead of using a water storage container.
How does that go with the smarts of the unit? Just asking based on how sensitive it is with inconsistent fillings (although I suppose it should be much the same)

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Would love to get the system running directly from the RO unit rather than storage cantainer so i can take out the process of ensuring the container has water in it. Please keep updated as I'm keen to learn more on how you connect the solenoid up with the RO/DI unit. More to the point I'd like the RO unit to fill my water change containers automatically as the level drops. Cheers

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Just buy a 12v sprinkler solenoid and hook that up to the pressure side of your RODI unit. The smart ato could switch that on for as long as needed to fill your tank to desired level?

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
Just buy a 12v sprinkler solenoid and hook that up to the pressure side of your RODI unit. The smart ato could switch that on for as long as needed to fill your tank to desired level?
@Nicksy23

I am in the process of doing this right now. It's pretty straight forward. I will put it up on my build log when I am done and let you know!

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Guys whats the easiest way to find another persons Tank Journal ???
I find it hard to just click and find other peoples let alone my own journal !!!!

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
swweeeeet I'll be checking that out!
For those interested here is what you will need. This is to setup automatic RO water storage. I have plumbed together 2 160L Plastic barrels using bulkhead fittings. My garage where the RO unit will be installed is about 15M from my tank so I have also plumbed up a 3,000LPH Submersible pump in one of the barrels which is rigged up to a ball valve and quick fit hose connection.

From what I understand the best way to 100% shut off an RODI unit is by using a solenoid valve on the inlet line. This way you do not get TDS creep.

I have put together a list of the components.

Solenoid Valve:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290836300351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

These solenoids are the bomb! Already comes with the plastic quick fit connections to hook up to your RODI unit! They are 24VAC Normally closed Continuous Duty. Coil Power is 6 - 6.5VA. So basically they are in the closed position unless they are provided with power.

Float Switches:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300450253588?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I got 2 of these. I decided to get these ones because they are a bit longer and water does not have to reach right to the top. I have installed one on the lid of each barrel as a fail safe so if either barrel fills with water, the circuit will break and shut the unit off.

Now you can power these solenoids using a Irrigation/reticulation controller. I'm lucky, I actually already have a Rainbird ESP Controller which controls my garden sprinklers. It also happens to be in the exact same spot as where I want to store my reservoir in my shed with the garden tap on the other side.

I have had to buy an additional module because I have no more spare stations for an extra solenoid as I already have 7. The RODI solenoid will be the 8th.

The sprinkler solenoids are all wired together on what is refereed to as a "common" wire which goes to "COM" (See Black wire).

The other wire on each of the solenoids then goes into their respective stations (See coloured wires 1-7).

alh6.googleusercontent.com__qR1_Idj0a2I_UoxbKdY1YzI_AAAAAAAABAM_ohGlYPlFqG8_w709_h532_no_photo_3.JPG

alh5.googleusercontent.com__nfH8lCeuKTQ_UoxbJ7PgFPI_AAAAAAAABAE__vihxyQXZI8_w709_h532_no_photo_1.JPG

alh6.googleusercontent.com__gTINeE3sZng_UoxbJ1H_X1I_AAAAAAAABAI_HXrdVZ19hgY_w709_h532_no_photo_2.JPG

The circuit is a very simple loo.

COMMON WIRE ------SOLENOID------FLOAT SWITCH 1------FLOAT SWITCH 2------STATION 8 on the Controller.

Controller can be scheduled to switch on at any time for any duration of time. I know this seems complicated but it's actually quite simple. You do not need an irrigation controller to make this work and you can get transformers to make it work but this is the easiest and you can get some very inexpensive ones.

I haven't finished putting my system all together but once I do, I will post the photos up and it should make sense.

Joey.

Jul 31, 2013
How does that go with the smarts of the unit? Just asking based on how sensitive it is with inconsistent fillings (although I suppose it should be much the same)
The solenoid will replace the water pump, power connections are all the same. the 12v solenoid will need to be placed on the inlet side of your RO/DI unit.Only thing is you will need to have your RO/DI unit mounted close to your tank i guess for the outlet line to reach your sump. This wont have any affect to the smarts of the unit. Instead of running a pump to fill up your sump, it will instead provide the same power to turn on/off the solenoid as needed.