Tank Journal Archive

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Growth Rate Of A Lawnmower Blenny
I'm putting together this tank journal entry to put right an injustice in the world! I bought a really cute baby Lawnmower Blenny in September 2013 - he/she was an inch long and a tiny wisp of a thing. I was curious to know how long it would take him to reach maturity and couldn't find the answer ANYWHERE. How can there be such little information available on such a commonly kept fish?

All I can do is make this tank journal entry and record the progress he has made so far :) My measurements are extremely scientific - by eye!

Here is a video of him in my algae infested (and now dismantled as a result) tank 3 months after I got him - you will need to make it full screen to see him properly. He was so cute my heart melted to a puddle at the sight of him - very rewarding to raise your fish from young.

At this stage the only growth I'd seen was a thickening of his body and becoming less see-through, as well as gaining weight.

Present day, over a year later, this is how he looks now. Apologies for the lack of scale, he is still very shy - but he is a solid 2 inches now with the signature pot belly we all know so well.

IMG_20150112_092712.JPG

IMG_20150111_193029.jpg

All going well with him I will continue to update as he grows. I did find a reference somewhere which I've been unable to located again that suggested that they grow to a mature size rapidly in the wild. I haven't found that to be true in his case and he has had an abundance of highly nutritious foods and a natural diet available to him, so I hope that he will attain a maximum size, or at least grow into a healthy, strong adult.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
@Agent M where the hell have you been??

I have seen a lawnmower in the LFS that was absolutely huge, I couldn't how big it was!
It would have been 15cm long and 25mm thick i reckon.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
@Buddy I got a new job thats keeping me very busy. Felt like visiting to see how the forum is going and I've been doing a bit of research on biofiltration for when I set up the next tank :)

I'd love to see my blenny get that big!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Been a while @Agent M - I'll need to come and prune some of that flubber soon ;-)

Good to see you back on board. You still living around the corner?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
They are such pigs!
I found the bi-colour grow pretty slow, but lawnmowers seem to be much faster.
They are piggies :) I think the source I found said that they get to full size in 18months. I'd say mine has a long way to go yet. What size was your bicolour when you got it? And what size did it get do you think?

Been a while @Agent M - I'll need to come and prune some of that flubber soon ;-)

Good to see you back on board. You still living around the corner?
Thanks, yep still same place. My stock is in a 100L with your metal halide over the top. Its taken months but I'm nearly free of Caulerpa and Valonia, Whats left is difficult to find. I have minimal corals now as I'm only keeping the hardiest ones and don't want too many different kinds. My big Cladium coral was a bugger to lift out - full of water I reckon it weighed 8 kgs, and it was changing shape while I was trying to hang on to it, lol. Will be interesting to see how much bigger it grows this year.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Cool to see the update! Are you sure he is a Lawnmower Blenny? Looks different to what I thought of as one.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I'm 90% sure, he was nocturnal for a good 6 months which had me wondering - top down shot makes him look weird - its not the angle we usually look at them from.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Cool to see the update! Are you sure he is a Lawnmower Blenny? Looks different to what I thought of as one.
You are right @chimaera - not a lawnmower blenny. He's been growing really fast of late too and starting to have a go at the Azure damsel - which amuses me as the damsel gave him a hard time when he was tiny.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Lucky he/she didn't get snapped up by that huge bristle star in the youtube clip.
It doesn't seem interested in the fish, although I notice they won't share a cave with it and even if the fish feel territorial about a particular spot they will give it up if the brittle star moves in.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Looks like he could be a Seaweed Blenny (Parablennius marmoreus) (thank you copy and paste!)

He's a sweet little thing - I have him acclimatising in a bucket at the minute because I'm moving him to another tank, and he keeps losing a little bit of colour, but looks up at me when I talk to him and his colour comes back - aww!! He must be used to my voice at feeding time because I do say hello to him. And no, I'm not crazy. Haven't had a fish do that before.