Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Gyre - How?
As some of you may know, I'm in the market for new wavemaker and currently comparing 2x RW8 vs Gyre XF130.

The thing that I failed to understand, how does Gyre technology forces flow to rotate/bounce around the tank ...

If I take top left illustration, when flow is bounced and goes right, it should be weaker flow then when bounced again, logically it won't continue ...

@Tom H what's your observation so far?

as3.amazonaws.com_3reef_Images_radar_maxspect_gyre_flow.jpg

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I'm not an expert in fluid dynamics but I beleive its from the broad flow.
All power heads and such will make flow around the tank, if u place a vortech/tunze etc in a corner the flow will start just like those illustrations but the smaller "jet" stream of the water will disapate more than the broader flow of the gyre.
The way the gyre draws the water is also different, it pulls water in from kinda the opposite direction to which it pushes it, helping create that circular flow, or the "gyre" Where a propeller pump usually draws from every direction.

You'll notice in those illustrations as well they have gyres covering the whole length of the glass pane they wish to create the water movement on.

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
I think @Mattres has nailed it. The gyre flow is created by the broad fan of water pushed by the impeller, and also by having a wide intake, pulling the water around the tank. My observations of the 130 in a 2' cube are that the flow is not nearly so perfect as the illustration suggests, I think you would need 2 gyres stacked on top of each other to get that perfect gyre flow. In my tank I can see the main fan of water that flows around the tank, and just outside the fan there are vortices that swirl around and other sections where the flow is actually reversed completely. The good thing is there are no dead spots.

I think that 2 traditional design power heads would work just as well, but aesthetically the gyre is pretty neat, the controller is very nice and the unit is almost completely silent. I think it will do the job adequately and I'm happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
The theory if the Gyre is the pump only needs to move water that is already moving in that direction - that's what makes them so efficient. Traditional "jet" powerheads basically need to change the direciton of the water and accelerate it - this uses much more power.

The pics above are in an ideal world however in the real world you have rock work, fish, coral, etc. The pattern isn't as nice as you pictured, but it still works.

Did you ever spin around in a small round pool as a kid? You can certainly get the water moving in a circle. Far harder to get that much movement by paddling with your hand...

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I wouldn't use a gyre in a 2ft (well, I probably would never use it in any tank).
Space is very limited in a 2ft and you will flexibility to move pumps around will be more important than the broad flow, gyre provides.

With gyre:
The 2ft is so short that your only placement option for a gyre, is vertical in one of the sides. To benefit from the broader flow, your rocks will have to be in the center of the tank.
The strong flow will got always in the same direction, thus not many flexibility to randomize it.
Therefore, only one option of rockscaping and one option of pump replacement.

With 2 smaller pumps
You can point the flow wherever there is space, thus allowing for multiple rockscapes.
You can also use the master-slave to build several combinations of flows, including opposite directions, traffic light mode, ramp up and ramp down, etc

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I understand that this is personal taste but if you are to choose between 2x RW8 or XF130 , which would you choose?

The price difference is just $100.

The only reason am thinking of Gyre because it's Maxspect ... versus Jebao.

But not with its downside.

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
I think the Gyre is going to be adequate for my tank, I prefer its appearance compared to traditional power heads, I really like the controller, and I love how quiet it is. But as Franklin says, I think you would have more flexibility with two traditional power heads, and also redundancy if one breaks.

It's still too early for me to unreservedly recommend the Gyre, but for now I'm very happy with it and I don't regret buying it.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I was expecting someone to make a joke about these being like your job or something in that they suck as much as they blow

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I am currently having to run 3 gyres to achieve the back & forth flow that my corals thrive in

I was running a single and all my corals were leaning & growing in - 1 direction. I believe this is eventually what too took out my Gonipora

If I had s choice again I would pick standard power heads - better control : functions and 100% random flow not one directional