Tank Journal Archive

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Hammer Coral, Peppermint Shrimp.
What a busy weekend for the fish tank!

First point:
My partner and I visited the LFS, with the intention of getting a small piece of LR to prop up our torch coral so the stromb snail would leave it alone… Well we didn’t end up buying any rock, instead we bought so polyps! :D

We placed them into the tank… and then made the decision to find and remove the predator crab which has been killing smaller other crabs, but more importantly preventing us from getting any shrimps with a fear it might kill them…

The crab has been found and removed… as well as my aquascape now being ruined… so my partner and I worked for a while to get a scape that we were happy with. He was, I wasn’t… but I thought I’d let it grow on me…

On Sunday, with the crab now removed I went to the LFS to buy a peppermint shrimp… so we got one, as well as a small hammer coral! YAY!!

Here is a picture!

tank.jpg

Now, we are having trouble with flow… The hammer gets its polyps brushed with water every 30 seconds or so… nothing too harsh… I am waiting for the light to turn on this morning and my partner sending me a photo so I can gauge how much the hammer coral likes or dislikes its current spot (I LOVE WHERE IT IS AT THE MOMENT) But not the blue cespitularia is being annoying… its getting a fair bit of flow.. but also getting knocked around a bit… but also its polyps are as open as I have ever seen them!? -_-

So this is my current stock:

Fish:
Black clown.
Bicolour Blenny.

Coral:
Hammer.
Torch.
Toadstool
Rhodactus
Zoas.
Duncans
Blue Cespitularia.

Inverts
Stomb snail.
2 Hermit crabs.
Peppermint shrimp.

Coraline algae is growing really really well. The tank looks great and we are really happy.

EXCEPT FOR THE FLOW…

Will the blue cespitularia adapt?!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
In a small tank it is often difficult to prevent high flow areas when the pump is directed towards the middle of the tank.

It might be possible to get a more random flow by bouncing it off a surface - sometimes pointing it towards the water surface can work.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
In a small tank it is often difficult to prevent high flow areas when the pump is directed towards the middle of the tank.

It might be possible to get a more random flow by bouncing it off a surface - sometimes pointing it towards the water surface can work.

Thanks Sam! I'll give it a go!