Tank Journal Archive

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Hammer Issues?
I have noticed that my hammers drop the hammer end off the tip of each arm every now and then. This leaves teeny, tiny fluro green polyps (about 2mm across) sitting on the floor of my tank. Is this spawning or something else entirely.
I am pretty sure it is healthy though as the main coral is always extended and looking pretty and wavy in thecurrent. It is also forming another two heads that I can tell.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
My hammers are super healthy and do the same thing every now and then. If I see one floating around I make sure I scoop it out, I have seen it land on other corals and still have the ability to sting.
Sometimes I think they come off from inter fighting with other hammers.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
My hammers drop a polyp every now and then too. I think its normal because they all look big and healthy. The loose polyp can still sting other corals though so its better to get it out if you can.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I don't have hammers but I have a very large green BTA that does the same thing. Has been doing so for years with no obvious ill effects.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
My torches used to do the same thing. I never noticed it stinging anything and it never seemed unhealthy in anyway. I wouldnt worry about it but I would be keeping an eye on it and removing the polyps when you see them.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
my RBTA lets a tentacle loose now and then. Looks like a bright red worm kicking about the sandbed which gets all of the fish very excited.... It appears to be fine though :D