Tank Journal Archive

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Hammer Nub/frag/fail
So I've been eyeing off these baby nubs growing out of a couple of my hammer corals and tonight thought I'd try remove one and make a new colony.
All kinda went to plan until the end..
Removed one of the larger nubs, dried it put a dab of super glue gel on the end popped it in the tank to place and dropped it onto the Duncan... Who thought it was food and gobbled it up :banghead lol
Oh well gotta laugh!
Might try again at some point, any advice from would be appreciated haha, not sure if they should be bigger before I try.
A couple photos I took along the way
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Try glue it onto a small piece of rock outside the tank. Very small amount of glue, you can always glue the small piece of rock into place later once its taken.

Dealing with such a small bit underwater would be next to impossible. Otherwise the small buds are very viable.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Try glue it onto a small piece of rock outside the tank. Very small amount of glue, you can always glue the small piece of rock into place later once its taken.

Dealing with such a small bit underwater would be next to impossible. Otherwise the small buds are very viable.
Awesome thanks I'll try that.
The hammer is actually one I bought off you in 2012. 30+ heads now, love it!

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Awesome thanks I'll try that.
The hammer is actually one I bought off you in 2012. 30+ heads now, love it!
I love them too :) they do grow so well a very satisfying coral when you see such great results. I have some grown to such sizes from those buds you can still see a frag disc buried in the base of a 20cm tall coral. Awesome for an LPS to grow so well.

If its the bright green one I can track its lineage back to one of the very first shops to sell aquarium corals in WA. Way back from pre 1990.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I love them too :) they do grow so well a very satisfying coral when you see such great results. I have some grown to such sizes from those buds you can still see a frag disc buried in the base of a 20cm tall coral. Awesome for an LPS to grow so well.

If its the bright green one I can track its lineage back to one of the very first shops to sell aquarium corals in WA. Way back from pre 1990.
Wow amazing.
So good seeing aquacultured corals growing and spreading across australia
Not the bright all green but a nice green tipped one.
Have some photos of its journey over the years, when moved over to the new tank it went quite pale for almost a year due to the low nutrients I think.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Nice gold one in that cluster :p Wish i could find a nice gold branching hammer to fill out my collection.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Nice gold one in that cluster :p Wish i could find a nice gold branching hammer to fill out my collection.
Yea that's my favourite :D
It's actually orange though, my camera skills find it hard to get it quite right. It's a nice orange though, stands out in the tank for sure.
Would love to pass on a bit to you once it reaches a stage to frag.
It's still a solitary polyp atm but showing a little sign of splitting.

image.jpg
image.jpg