Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Has anyone used Algaefix Marine?
I have brought this up in another post, but I thought it might get more attention here.
Has anyone tried API Algaefix Marine?
I've been doing a lot of looking to see if it's worth trying to get rid of the Dictyota algae I'm suffering through.
A stack of forums praise it and then a number also say it's crap.
I'm not a believer in these kind of additives but it's getting really frustrating.
Any thoughts from anyone?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Yes.
I'm not a fan of these things, but I've used it to get me out of a pickle. A week without using it showed me how good it was actually doing - I really didn't think it was doing much as I was seeing a bit of hair algae... then leaving it alone for a week showed me just how much impact it actually had. In my case the use was for a newish fishless system where taking out the lights for a couple of days isn't much of an option so it's been used to help stop it overtaking the whole system until it matures.

The experience I've had with it has shown me that it does have some impact on algae, though it never quite gets rid of it.
Obviously it doesn't remove the need for dealing with all the usual causes for the algae, but at least it helps minimise the amount of mess it makes while you work through whatever the other problems are that might be causing it.

In terms of it dealing with dictyota - I don't know. I've never actually seen the stuff.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thanks for the feedback @DavidS.
I'll wait to hear from anyone who has used Algaefix with fish in the system before I go any further by using a treatment.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Thanks for the feedback @DavidS.
I'll wait to hear from anyone who has used Algaefix with fish in the system before I go any further by using a treatment.
I have actually used it with fish briefly when I first started in marine (which is how I happened to own the stuff...). The stuff is "known to state of California to cause cancer", so perhaps all the people who reported fish deaths lived in California? :P

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
I have used it in my system, its slow to do much, but it does do something. Fish are still alive now 12+ months.

Fish, shrimp and snails all OK.