Tank Journal Archive

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Have FINALLY gotten around to testing out the PAR38s
So I've been tossing up the idea of upgrading the lighting and @chimaera came to my rescue :D

It's been a bit of a saga, but I FINALLY got the loan lights mounted yesterday! (Albeit non-conventionally!! lol)

I was going to go for the open-top, but given that the tank resides in the garage, I feel that the evaporation could prove an issue, so I knocked up a perspex lid. Condensation isn't really proving an issue at this stage, and the light penetration (with the lid Vs without) appears to be like for like to the naked eye, but I plan to watch it closely.

And I know, I know: gas exchange. Well, it can't be any worse off than it was with the original hood on it :p (In my completely un-eductated/inexperienced opinion lol)

I'm also yet to come up with a suitable spot for the skimmer because I'm loath to cut into my lid (that turned out quite well, if I do say so myself!) and risk screwing it up! So for now it's not running.

So far, there doesn't appear to be any interest shown from the nems; they're still hiding out around the filter and subsequently, in the shade *doh!* But the xenia is happy as a pig in mud, spending its ENTIRE DAYS pulsing away like mad!! lol

One thing of note on the nem front though, Nim (the plain green BTA) showed dramatic changes in behaviour when he was in the AR275 under the Illumagic. But since moving back into N3, he appears to have bleached considerably :( About 4mm of each of his tips are very pale/almost white in some instances, and he has two white stripes that have appeared around his mouth. I can't say for certain whether or not he was "perfect" while in the AR, but he certainly LOOKED happier behaviour-wise: he was reaching for the moonlight, bulbing out nicely during the day. You know *shrug* just looking "happy". So I'm a bit bummed, and am toying with the idea of moving him from his hiding place into the glory of the PAR38s since he doesn't seem likely to stumble across it himself. He's still eating just fine though, and his foot has a firm grip, so I'm not stressed too much at this point.

The lid:

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_20130807_104743_zpsb9a054dd.jpg

The lights on their make-shift stand:

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_20130807_110405_zps4b7c1be5.jpg

And lastly, for interest's sake, look who's hosting Nom!! Their first nem EVER!! .... The downside to this is that my hand is now proving to be a good chew-toy for those clowns, @Synodontis lol. At least you now know that it wasn't just you whose hand they liked lol

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_20130807_105422_zpsa8aca37d.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
How did you make that lid? Looks pro!

The par38 mount is awesome too, very impressed! Hope the nems find and like the light in time.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Thanks, @chimaera :D It was made with a piece of perspex, a scorer, a hammer, a drill, a Dremmel, and a lot of swearing LOL. Doesn't look quite as "perfect" up close ;)

Yeah, the light stand pulled together better than I thought! Should give a perfect indication of how the nems like the PAR38s, so thank you so much for the loan!! (And don't worry - I won't let anything happen to Nim if I can help it. Les already knows that if he's deteriorating further in a few weeks, he's going back into the AR275 ;) )

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Doesn't look quite as "perfect" up close ;)
Hmm you're right, I just looked at the full sized pic. hahahaha :p

It does look a bit opaque though now I look at it more closely ... so could be reducing the PAR making it through to the water. Maybe not massively but worth factoring in.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Plus it was a very dodgy pic lol
I'll definitely keep an eye on it, but Nim was reaching towards it today and looked happier *happy dance* :D