News

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Have you considered selling premium classifieds?

The sort of thing I'm thinking of is for a moderate donation a couple of member's ads could appear on the home page. Even at say $2 for it to be there a week and say a max of two ads on the home page at any time, that could bring in a couple of hundred bucks a year. That would pay for the server for a month. It all adds up.

Of course the logical extension of that is selling advertising (banner? sponsored by?) to commercial operations. If state groups grow (or in the case of Vic-right now), you might be able to have sponsored banners at the lead of state group pages. Of course I have no idea if this is a direction the team wants to take, or even one to be avoided. I'm just throwing them out there.

I will say this, these days business needs to spend its marketing dollar very wisely. I've managed a national franchise here, for a multinational company, I've owned 4 businesses and even worked in an aquarium in the days of the dinosaur. If I owned or managed an aquarium in Vic these days, I would be happy to pay a moderate fee to directly reach my potential customers (ie Vic) or if I also operated online, then other areas of the forum would interest me.

Of course price & value are the key and this is not the biggest of the forums (best maybe) but there will be many LFS, distributors, etc looking for a cheapish niche for themselves I would think.

(This isn't the idea I mentioned I'm working on @reefuge)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @ijg3956,

For the classifieds, I do not wish to charge users for services on this site. I believe things like state groups, forums, information, communication etc should all be free. I also do not wish to clutter the site with advertising. As for the member base, it is not *that* small. Do not forget, most other forums may have more members, but a lot of the accounts are either dead or the members are not as active as they are here. Aside from stored content, The Reefuge has a very active member base.

As for the chat window, the reason it remains small is because I would rather have the users post on the forums rather than the chat window. The chat is just something to be used for a quick hello.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Thanks.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
The "Urgent Tank Support" thread,
Can you have that set so every member gets an "Alert" when a new thread is started?
Sometimes I miss a new thread because I don't pay attention lol.
The more people who see it may help the OP also.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
That's kind of invading everyone's space. I really doubt everyone wants to know unfortunately, it probably isn't relevant to some either, ie newbies. However the idea certainly has merit. Maybe am alert on the home page rather than in people's personal alerts?

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I have an idea for the eye sight impaired :) :D
When i shift and scroll the mouse... making the page bigger so i can read it , Without sitting with my nose against the screen :p .. There isn't a scroll bar to view the rest of the page ..I need to Shift scroll down to make the page smaller again , To see the tank journals etc.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
normal
The Reefuge Forums  Australian Marine - Reef Aquarium Community.png

Zoomed
The Reefuge Forums  Australian Marine - Reef Aquarium Community.png2.png

Both good .. But on some web sites there is a bar at the bottom of the page while zoomed , So i can read the out of view area ... Could be just me , but works on other sites .. Well some of

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Just hold CTRL & scroll your mouse wheel up, you'll see what he means. I use the function a lot too. Most have a fluid column width so it compensates. Those that have fixed width should offer a horizontal scroll bar.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @Luke,

I am running linux so it is a little different for me. Your issue is your browser I am pretty sure. What operating system and browser are you running? What is your screen resolution?

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Just hold CTRL & scroll your mouse wheel up, you'll see what he means. I use the function a lot too. Most have a fluid column width so it compensates. Those that have fixed width should offer a horizontal scroll bar.
Hello @ijg3956,

The website is fluid, not fixed. However, the website is also responsive (resize your browser window to see how it reacts). There is no horizontal bar, as it is not needed, this is to make the site viewable on phones.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
1280 /1024 firefox v 18.0.2
Windows xp .. :p
I am convinced it is a browser issue. I can see the chatbar is not even making it all the way to the edge of the window. Try turning Javascript off and try again. I would update my browser.

Thanks.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Hello @ijg3956,

The website is fluid, not fixed. However, the website is also responsive (resize your browser window to see how it reacts). There is no horizontal bar, as it is not needed, this is to make the site viewable on phones.

Thanks.
I haven't actually tried it here as the colour palette here makes it easier for me to read. I was just explaining what he meant.:)