Reef Discussion

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Heater
Ok so atm i have an aquaone heater in my tank.
Let me put it politely its an unstable peice of shit, cant get it stable at 25 in mornings its been as low as 22.7.

What is a GREAT, reliable brand heater for my new tank.
I'd be aiming for 300w as its a 250L tank but I don't want big temp sways as I want my soon to be fish and coral happy.

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
I’ve been keeping freshwater and marine fish for 30 years.
I swear by the Jaegers. I must admit, that for the last four years. My Teco chiller/heater, looks after my marine tank temp. But my Discus tank, heater is Jeager. I have a spare for the marine tank too.
Are you confident. That your temp probe is accurate?

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Atm I know it's the heater. Tank dropped to 22.7 it felt cool so i grabbed the floating hydrometer/temp guage and confirmed it was under 23.
I checked temp on heater (set to 25) and I had to turn it to 30 before it turned on.

By lunch was pushing 27.1 and to turn off the heater i had to turn it down to 24. And rechecked the temp it was turning on. And it turned on at 26. So the heater is screwed.

I had a jager in my old jewel vision 260 and I used to get a little sway, but I haven't had a tank in over 4 years so i know alot has changed.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Temperature controller plus any heater :)
My budget isnt that high atm Sam you know me if i could aford a controller and everything I would. Atm ill get a quality heater and maby later if i can aford a controller I will.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Jäger.

If the variation is really due to the heater then you'll probably get the same variation with any heater.

I am about to buy another heater and will buy jäger unless I find a better one.

I lost my jäger recently as the seal came loose and I was able to pull the element out of the glass tube...

If you need 300 watts to heat a 250 L tank, I think something is wrong. Is your home super cold or draughty??? Maybe this is your problem??? 200 watts should be OK. Better to get two 100 watt Jagers and had place at each end of the tank.

If you use a large wattage heater the heater comes on and off more frequently than if you use a smaller wattage heater, which is going to be heating for longer periods. You'll be working the switch less.

Even better to go two smaller heaters than one big one.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Jäger.

If the variation is really due to the heater then you'll probably get the same variation with any heater.

I am about to buy another heater and will buy jäger unless I find a better one.

I lost my jäger recently as the seal came loose and I was able to pull the element out of the glass tube...

If you need 300 watts to heat a 250 L tank, I think something is wrong. Is your home super cold or draughty??? Maybe this is your problem??? 200 watts should be OK. Better to get two 100 watt Jagers and had place at each end of the tank.

If you use a large wattage heater the heater comes on and off more frequently than if you use a smaller wattage heater, which is going to be heating for longer periods. You'll be working the switch less.

Even better to go two smaller heaters than one big one.
The tanks a red sea max 250 so only has plug for 1 heater.
My house isnt cold as said haven't had a tank in 4 years so i can't remember what watts per L is any good.

The aquaone heater came with tank and I think its faulty. Hence want to replace it with a good heater but again not having fish for years wasnt sure if brands had changed and were better or worse then back then.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
To be honest mate, the temperature controller is going to be cheaper than another heater and will give you better results. Plus it will have you ready for next summer by adding fans:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-PLUG-240V-ITC-308-Digital-Temperature-Controller-thermostat-temp-heater/322181962638?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Add to that - if your *cheaper* heater fails (on or off) whats your stock loss going to be in terms of $$$?

for somewhere between $50 and $100 you can have a controller that will control a quality heater (such as a ehiem) or titanium. Added Bonus as @Sam Parker says - the controller will also do a fan for warmer months.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014

Nachoman

Apr 10, 2018
I have an stc 1000 from my hoe brewdays. Would it do the same job as the inkbird you posted Sam?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We use Inkbird controllers on EVERYTHING here. Titanium heaters as well. My swing with the Inkbird is less than 1 degree. Jager's quality has gone to shit recently, damn shame, they used to be the only heaters that we used and sold in the shop.