Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Heaters
Hi I have to buy new heaters, the power keep tripping out all weekend and i found one of the heaters was to blame, are heater just that ........ heaters, or is there a good and bad brand please?

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
You'll find that better quality ones will last longer. I'm using a wireless one from fish street at the moment, it's good because it sends me updates of the tanks temp as I don't have an aquarium controller. Time will tell how long it lasts. Most people will suggest Eheim as they are a reputable brand and their heaters are known to last

chafule

Jul 4, 2013
I use an atc800 as controller and ehiem jager.
Wanting to upgrade to titanium heater one day though, much more efficient.

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
I prefer titanium heaters.
Some of the advantages: less moving parts, no glass to break, smaller form factor, can put the temp probe away from the heater...

I understand using a temp controller along with a heater + thermostat is a popular option for redundancy.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I use the Eheim Jagers without fail. But, some of mine are getting a bit old and have some condensation inside. I am also looking to buy new ones, the best and long lasting the better, so I am following this thread.

Are the titanium heater all high wattage or can you get smaller wattage for say a 200 L tank?

What are the better brands for Titanium?

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
I use the Eheim Jagers without fail. But, some of mine are getting a bit old and have some condensation inside. I am also looking to buy new ones, the best and long lasting the better, so I am following this thread.

Are the titanium heater all high wattage or can you get smaller wattage for say a 200 L tank?

What are the better brands for Titanium?
I had a 300W Weipro (model before this: http://www.fish-street.com/weipro_mx1021_300w_ic_heater_for_aquarium_1) on a 200L tank.
It was in use for a year and never missed a beat. I have seen smaller ones too, but they have thermostats built in (defeats the purpose IMO).
My Weipro has a swing of 1℃ - it replaced an Eheim Jager that would swing ~3℃.
My current tank has 2 x 300w Weipros controlled by Apex (temp swing of 0.4℃) - I plan to get a second temp probe for redundancy before the end of the year.

I've had a pair of the Aquael easy heaters (150w) too. Love the form factor of these (they are very slim) but had issues with the thermostats on both - they were purchased together so they may have just been from a bad batch.

Anyway, apologies for a long post - wanted to share my experiences (I think temp swing is important :)) - haven't had anything running past a year so can't weigh in on the long term durability.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I've used Eheims for 40 years and they've always been good to me. I just purchased 2 titanium heaters to give a go, time will tell. I've tried Marineland which are junk, if you get a year out of them, consider yourself lucky. Supreme was the same, 1-2 years and they were done. I also use Inkbird controllers on all of my tanks, it's a little extra layer of protection.

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Watch this

Basically answers your question, i have a titanium and jager

the temp controller on my titanium fluctuates 1C before it kicks in so looking to upgrade it for something within 0.1C range

midjim

Oct 10, 2011
qld
Be very carefull with old heaters. I used a old one at the start of winter with disasterus results. I plugged it in for a second out of water to see if it heated up all good. Threw it in a home made plastic sump on a breeding rack, and adjusted the rubber mounts. I had just pulled my hands out when the whole heater went white and blew up with a big bang as i still had my head down near the sump. After my heart reset the 60lts of the sump started draining out onto the floor as it had burnt a hole in the sump. It was plugged in to a good quality power board with earth leakage also the house had earth leakage, so i was baffled why it did not trip. I spoke to my sparky and he told my because it was a two pin plug it has no earth and it was double insulated, but leaked. I got on line and ordered two Eheims for both my tanks, I am so lucky i did not still have my hands in the sump.