Reef Discussion

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
by 1998 the industrialised world had already put enough emissions into the atmosphere to heat the world by 3 degrees by the year 2100. (and that is a conservative estimate)

everyone is wasting their fucking time now.

this is all a moot point, this was always going to happen, capping emissions any time in the last 15-20 years wont change what is happening and will happen in the not so distant future.

renewable energy or nuclear on the scale we would have needed it got crushed in the 80's and 90's and thats the end of that.

go read some books on the subject (tim flannery etc) or go study a decent environmental course somewhere, something that would be tagged along with an engineering degree, they seem to not fluff over the facts or cover them up or sugar coat them.

they have enough oil in reserve for 300years of automobile usage

they have enough coal for 700years? from memory.

this aint changing.. just brace yourself for the big pineapple up the bum.

doom and gloom

blah blah blah

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I watched the recent Attenborough series and really enjoyed it (as I have all his wildlife series) and was particularly interested when they mentioned how relatively short a time the Great barrier Reef has actually existed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they mentioned how the Aborigines were in Australia before the Great Barrier Reef existed.

Point is, it may not be as permanent a natural thing as we would like to believe and it has had its ups and downs in the past.

I'd really like them to go harder on any industry that pollutes the reef rather than a generalised war on coal mining that some might see as them just using the currents problems with the GBR to further their overall cause. This isn't to say that I disagree with them.

I did like the mention in Attenborough series of the migration of tropical species further south and wouldn't mind a coral reef down the beach from me.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
"The Great Barrier Reef is an extremely ancient, enormous host of living things, composed of living coral growing on dead coral dating back perhaps as much as twenty million years. "

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
"The Great Barrier Reef is an extremely ancient, enormous host of living things, composed of living coral growing on dead coral dating back perhaps as much as twenty million years. "
Where did you get that quote from?

I'm pretty sure that in the program they mentioned that when the Aborigines first spread across the continent, the sea level was so low that the area that the GBR sits on was actually out of the water and that as the sea level rose the Aborigines were pushed inland.

Maybe I've got some info wrong and need to be corrected, but they definitely mentioned that the land then extended, I think as far as the continental shelf????

I'll have to watch the show again.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
I'm pretty sure that in the program they mentioned that when the Aborigines first spread across the continent, the sea level was so low that the area that the GBR sits on was actually out of the water and that as the sea level rose the Aborigines were pushed inland.
From the Quicksilver cruise website:

Although coral reefs have been around for over 500 million years, the Great Barrier Reef is relatively young at 500,000 years, and this most modern form is only 8,000 years old, having developed after the last ice age.

I didn't know that. When was the last ice age ?

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Yeah, that's what Sir David went on about.

I was very surprised to learn how low the water level must have been, something like 120 metres lower around 20,000 years ago.

Imagine that! 120 metres lower!

I think they also said in the show that there were different types of corals so what we think of a coral reef today might have been quite different to what it had prior.

Still, to think that everything that is sitting at water level or 120 metres below only came into existence since 20,000 years ago.

Well actually, thinking about it 20,000 years is pretty long I reckon.

Kenneth

Dec 16, 2013
I watched the recent Attenborough series and really enjoyed it (as I have all his wildlife series) and was particularly interested when they mentioned how relatively short a time the Great barrier Reef has actually existed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they mentioned how the Aborigines were in Australia before the Great Barrier Reef existed.

Point is, it may not be as permanent a natural thing as we would like to believe and it has had its ups and downs in the past.

I'd really like them to go harder on any industry that pollutes the reef rather than a generalised war on coal mining that some might see as them just using the currents problems with the GBR to further their overall cause. This isn't to say that I disagree with them.

I did like the mention in Attenborough series of the migration of tropical species further south and wouldn't mind a coral reef down the beach from me.
Not one mention of Adani's proposed largest coal mine! Attenborough should've NAMED AND SHAMED but that's too political