Tank Journal Archive

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
Help Me Aqua Scape!
Hey guys,
Need some help with aqua scaping my new tank. Originally I had envisioned a lifted rock scape similar to this
2015-08-15 17.08.13.jpg

However due to the height of my tank I was constrained with what I could physically achieve, to be able to pull it off successfully I would've had to raise it a considerable distance off the tank floor and being a shallow, it just wasn't possible.

So after some deliberation and intense conflicting views (lol) in the household I was able to create the following scapes. However I am still not fully content with either and feel like they're either too busy visually or simply missing something. Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Quite open to any ideas just no rock boulders haha if you've seen any cool scapes online just link them onto this thread!
20150816_160951.jpg

20150816_162006.jpg

20150815_181706.jpg

20150816_151953.jpg

20150815_181358.jpg

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I like that second to last scape, you're right its quite hard to have height in the scape with a shallow tank.
I think once the corals have grown in that scape will look great.

Webb

Sep 21, 2014
First image looks best to me, downward slopes for good viewing side on, lots of growing space, shelves and overhangs.
Not all SPS likes intense light, some colour up far better with a little shade.

Nautynigel

Oct 26, 2014
Strathfield
yeah id say perhaps the first one. also, Don't be afraid of taking some of the rock out... some tanks look really cluttered and some of your scapes are at risk...

Take the first one but remove the rock thats resting on the PVC

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
all great responses so far, appreciate the input.

yeah id say perhaps the first one. also, Don't be afraid of taking some of the rock out... some tanks look really cluttered and some of your scapes are at risk...

Take the first one but remove the rock thats resting on the PVC
I would tend to agree, never been a fan of cluttered/rock heavy scapes. I'm still pondering whether if i should just go 3 small low lying rock islands on the sandbed with sps frags growing off it as i have always been a fan of the "less is more" approach.

Unfortunately if i take the rock resting on the PVC, the scape looks quite awkward hahaha

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
1st one looks good. Try it with a really small bommie on the left hand side with the top of it no higher than the middle of the height of the main scape if that makes sense

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Everyone has different taste. I like the first one you had.
It is one thing in this hobby that drives us all nuts.
Even when you think you got it right something will happen that you have to change it.
IMO , make one side busy and the other with a little bommie ...Have a swim through between the two.

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
Everyone has different taste. I like the first one you had.
It is one thing in this hobby that drives us all nuts.
Even when you think you got it right something will happen that you have to change it.
IMO , make one side busy and the other with a little bommie ...Have a swim through between the two.
I wholeheartedly agree, I had a different scape in plan originally but once I moved the rocks into the tank i immediately pulled it down :D
I will be going with the first scape as i feel most content with it

I would personally have all those rocks pretty but sitting on the bare bottom :)
Yeah that is the fallback plan, originally i just wanted something simple but then i wanted to be special hahaha. I still have a heap of Aquaroche pieces left so if i'm still not happy i will just pull the all the rock out and go something simple. Theres only around 10kg of rock atm so its not to bad. Theres plenty of space for corals still so should be fine!