Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Help Needed Re Moving Tank ?
Hi all
Ok so any ideas on moving this beast. we need to move her about 12 - 15 feet against a wall ?

Do you think its at all possible to empty her as low as we can (fish still able to be covered) and empty sump to move or slide her to a new location, and quickly refill and get running again with minimal disruption ?

We really don't want to be removing rocks and undoing scapes (which will stress fish terribly) if not needed ?

Has any one done this before ?
Ideas really needed please.
Thanks.

Oct 17, 2015
I'd say what your wanting to do is possible on a small tank but not on one your size, I think it would need pretty much a complete strip down

I can not even move my 3x2x2 without emptying it completely.... Its never a good idea to try and do a quick move. Best thing is to plan it properly and do it slowly to ensure fish and coral health. If this is not doable then maybe don't do it at all.

Totally understand that sometimes we need to change things but with these tanks and the way most fish don't really like being moved... its a risky thing no matter how you do it. Good luck!!

Hey didn't they invent something that you stick under something heavy and then slide it along? I guess the trick is to get it in under in the first place...

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I can not even move my 3x2x2 without emptying it completely.... Its never a good idea to try and do a quick move. Best thing is to plan it properly and do it slowly to ensure fish and coral health. If this is not doable then maybe don't do it at all.

Totally understand that sometimes we need to change things but with these tanks and the way most fish don't really like being moved... its a risky thing no matter how you do it. Good luck!!

Hey didn't they invent something that you stick under something heavy and then slide it along? I guess the trick is to get it in under in the first place...
The last thing we planned was to have to move it, but unfortunately it cant be helped. it has to move. We are on a tiled floor it has been suggested that we may be able to slide it with some big guys to help.
Getting anything under would be near impossible, we are better sliding than lifting. It took 6 strong guys to lift this in the first place, empty..lol

didn't help telling me you cant move your 3 x 2 x 2. thank for that - NOT lol

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I'm sorry but I have to agree with @somethingfishy76
Its still going to be 400kg+ with a little bit of water in it. It was a struggle to move my old 120L tank and that had wheels on it!
If you do try and slide the tank, just make sure the rocks are secure because I would hate for a rock to scratch/break your glass if there was any sudden movement.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I'm sorry but I have to agree with @somethingfishy76
Its still going to be 400kg+ with a little bit of water in it. It was a struggle to move my old 120L tank and that had wheels on it!
If you do try and slide the tank, just make sure the rocks are secure because I would hate for a rock to scratch/break your glass if there was any sudden movement.
Pallet lifter ? Mini fork lift ?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The only way to do this with relative ease and safety is going to be to find a set of Hilman rollers. I use them for moving huge, 3000 to 5000kg pieces of equipment around. They are a set of rollers that look like a tank tread with a steel top and rubber pad. You'd have to jack it up evenly and place it on the pads, scoot it across to its new home and jack it back down. What the hell do you have to be all the way down there? I do this sort of shit for a living, lol. Here's a pic of the rollers:

awww.steelerectortools.com_i__KRS_60_SLP_a.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
There are equipment options out there that could help you with this that will jack it up and allow it to be safely slid - I don't know what they are though or how to get access to them. I would not recommend trying to lift it with man power alone, aside from scratching the floor.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
It may be easier if you move the wall to the tank - sorry, I just had to throw that out there o_0
Geez guys. :(. This is actually a serious question. It's not we would like to move this tank it's we "HAVE" to move this tank. Although I find all the answers rather funny & am very proud of everyones sense of humour :) why is This so funny. It's not helping my stress levels in the slightest. grrrrrrrr.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
The only way to do this with relative ease and safety is going to be to find a set of Hilman rollers. I use them for moving huge, 3000 to 5000kg pieces of equipment around. They are a set of rollers that look like a tank tread with a steel top and rubber pad. You'd have to jack it up evenly and place it on the pads, scoot it across to its new home and jack it back down. What the hell do you have to be all the way down there? I do this sort of shit for a living, lol. Here's a pic of the rollers:

View attachment 52243
Thank you. Finally. Appreciate this info. How do you jack it in first place ? Car jack each corner ? Place rollers under & remove with jack lifting weight again ?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Geez guys. :(. This is actually a serious question. It's not we would like to move this tank it's we "HAVE" to move this tank. Although I find all the answers rather funny & am very proud of everyones sense of humour :) why is This so funny. It's not helping my stress levels in the slightest. grrrrrrrr.
Sorry :(

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Obviously the big problem is moving it with anything in the tank can weaken the joints. Then you have to live with the possibility of tank failure down the road.

Robert and Gerhard are right, plan ahead and remove everything beforehand.

See if you can get yourself some old damaged IBC containers that you can chop the top off and use as storage tanks during the move. Otherwise, old bathtubs or spas.

Maybe even consider cheap cheap cheap blow up pools but using some thick plastic or other stuff placed on the bottom to protect from rupture.

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
So......
In all seriousness, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE THE TANK.

Unless it is empty. Or you will break something!