Reef Discussion

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
i don't have a tds meter. but from my understanding you can't just test for phos only using tds anyway.
i get ro from local fish store i assume its 0.00 before i add salt. i use red sea test kit and red sea coral pro salt. might just be the salt.
Right, tds and phos are different. I start by asking your their ro for Tds, total disovled solids. Furthermore phos. They should be happy to do so. You can then compare these results with yours if you have to justify some new test kits (Hanna phos is a good kit). If I had to take a punt I'd say the issue lies herein rather than the salts. If it is in the salt something pretty bad had gone down and I'd be chatting to my salt supplier or salt company. If you like I can help you out with all these test and help get to the bottom if it.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Right, tds and phos are different. I start by asking your their ro for Tds, total disovled solids. Furthermore phos. They should be happy to do so. You can then compare these results with yours if you have to justify some new test kits (Hanna phos is a good kit). If I had to take a punt I'd say the issue lies herein rather than the salts. If it is in the salt something pretty bad had gone down and I'd be chatting to my salt supplier or salt company. If you like I can help you out with all these test and help get to the bottom if it.
Thanks for the help.
Im going to just monitor things at this stage. I should ask the LFS to give me some figures on there water but i don't want to be that kind of cutover that hassles people lol. I have read that when ro water is stored for long periods of time it increases chances of it going bad. Might have been old ro water.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i have heard the same thing about hanna actually lol. Never mind will keep trying new things and see how it responds. Thanks again
I have heard that a few times also but from the hundreds of people I know using them only 2 people of complained, but there is always the chance of. Getting a faulty unit or reagent

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I get my RO from Reeflections. I started using nsw then switched to asw then went back to nsw when I moved house and also I needed a few big water changes after my nem went in for a "hair cut". The nsw was a bit high in phos for my system that already struggled a bit in the phos dept.

I am about to do my second wc back on the asw (brightwell neo marine from K&J aquatics) and just tested it for phos....0.00 music to my ears lol and that's using Reeflections ro. If your near by it might be worth using theirs. $2 a drum if your a member.

What area are you in? Hanna aus is at keysbrough and a tester is $66. I was using Red Sea like yours and after getting constantly high results I went and got the Hanna and guess what? The Red Sea kit was... Working fine lol The Hanna is good though and I'm glad I changed less hassle and you get a number instead of a round about give or take result with the Red Sea.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
I get my RO from Reeflections. I started using nsw then switched to asw then went back to nsw when I moved house and also I needed a few big water changes after my nem went in for a "hair cut". The nsw was a bit high in phos for my system that already struggled a bit in the phos dept.

I am about to do my second wc back on the asw (brightwell neo marine from K&J aquatics) and just tested it for phos....0.00 music to my ears lol and that's using Reeflections ro. If your near by it might be worth using theirs. $2 a drum if your a member.

What area are you in? Hanna aus is at keysbrough and a tester is $66. I was using Red Sea like yours and after getting constantly high results I went and got the Hanna and guess what? The Red Sea kit was... Working fine lol The Hanna is good though and I'm glad I changed less hassle and you get a number instead of a round about give or take result with the Red Sea.
Thanks Sarg,
I normally get my ro from williamstown. will let them know what the test came up as. But it may also be the red sea coral pro salt mix. How long does your bright well salt take to clear when u mix it. red sea is about 2 mins

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Not sure how long it takes? I normally put mine on the night before I want it. They say the longer the better using an airline to to stabilize the ph. It mixes well anyway no residue or anything like that.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
yay rowa phos is working!!! 24 hrs ago i put 2 table spoons in and little to no change. So i put an extra table spoon in and it has gone from 0.16 to 0.08. i will check it daily.
Will not buy brightwell phos E ever again. 7 days of 30mls a day and no change... useless! they also havnt respond to an email from5 days ago.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Oscar do you realize that phos e releases the phos back into the system if it can't be skimmed out, you were dosing it incorrectly, small doses are the only way to use it

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Oscar do you realize that phos e releases the phos back into the system if it can't be skimmed out, you were dosing it incorrectly, small doses are the only way to use it
HMM i thought i was following the dosage chart. The skimmer is constantly on too. So i thought it would have removed it.

my phos is on 0.08 and my tank is 430ish L.

how much should i use?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
just a media bag. The rowaphos site said you can use it in media bag with moderate flow.
Is that ok?
will be fine but its more effective in a reactor

HMM i thought i was following the dosage chart. The skimmer is constantly on too. So i thought it would have removed it.

my phos is on 0.08 and my tank is 430ish L.
try dosing smaller amounts and follow the results. dose near the skimmer intake also

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Yeah i did dose dear skimmer.
Should i be using them together or will the exhaust each other?
two complete different methods. phos e binds the phos so it can be skimmed out where as rowa binds the phos to itself and is removed when you exhaust the chemical

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
two complete different methods. phos e binds the phos so it can be skimmed out where as rowa binds the phos to itself and is removed when you exhaust the chemical
ok thank you. Is there any sorta estimation on how long rawo phos will work before its exhausted ?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
ok thank you. Is there any sorta estimation on how long rawo phos will work before its exhausted ?
Until the water coming out = the water coming in.

It should always read lower coming out. when it doesn't, it's time to replace.

You really can't predict how long it will last as every tank is unique it terms of Phos it has now, the rate Phos is being added, the rate Phos is being consumed naturally, etc.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
d
Until the water coming out = the water coming in.

It should always read lower coming out. when it doesn't, it's time to replace.

You really can't predict how long it will last as every tank is unique it terms of Phos it has now, the rate Phos is being added, the rate Phos is being consumed naturally, etc.
Dam you and your logic ! lol...so how long? lol jk