Help Please #whathavewedonewrong

Discussion in 'New To Reefing' started by Mott, Feb 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mott

Mott Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Everything is getting a brown algae type growing on it. I don't know what we have done wrong. Salt is in the acceptable range on the hydrometer, ph is between 8.0-8.2 and the 'Ammonia alert' is still in the safe zone.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated IMG_2417.JPG IMG_2417.JPG IMG_2418.JPG
  2. Wazza22

Wazza22 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    How long has the tank been setup?
    Looks like it is the type of algae that shows up during a cycle
  3. Mott

Mott Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Hi,
    We are about two and a half weeks in, it's taking over everything Please tell me I'm freaking out about nothing.
    I tried google but I'm not 100%
  4. shaidas

shaidas Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Bud you are freaking out about nothing .. I am an absolute noob myself but consider whats the worse that can happen at 2 weeks in before freaking out. Worst case scenario a 100% water change should fix your issues..best case scenario .. tomorrow it goes away. You are more than likely in between the two. From the pics it doesnt look like brown algae ..looks like the begining of hair algae which would be very normal ..anyways dude I am sure someone more knowledgeable will post something more helpful ..mean while Id post some more details if I was you like readings the first week.. live rock or dead rock...kind of water..kind of lights ..any ghost feeding
    • Like Like x 2
  5. DavidS

DavidS The Resident Loony

Ratings:
    +1,616
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Welcome to the cycle starting. You're gonna see it get a fair bit uglier before it settles down. The cycle really takes a couple of months to complete, and even then, things like this can take a while to settle down afterwards. No point making rash decisions like major water changes or anything silly like that, or you're just going to prolong the whole thing. It's doing what its supposed to.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,543
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    yep - just part of the cycle. Will get uglier before it gets better :)
    • Like Like x 3
  7. slin1977

slin1977 Member

Ratings:
    +2,984
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    I would forget about doing any water change, let things take their course.
    It's very beneficial to grow a population of bacteria by adding a pinch of food into the tank every three to four days.
    Over the next couple of weeks your gravel will become alive and home to good bacteria.
    The water will go cloudy soon and will clear up over a week, your skimmer might go crazy as well.

At the 4 week mark do your water tests and if they are ok you can change 20 percent if you wish. Never do any more than that.

What other filters are you running besides the skimmer, any filter media like Siporax where your bacteria is likely to colonise?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shaidas

shaidas Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    There you go.. told ya nothing to worry about :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Wazza22

Wazza22 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Yup, give it another 6 weeks to settle down. Maybe a small water change like @slin1977 said
    This is the hard part, don't add fish before then.
    It can be tempting but listen to what the guy's on here with many years of experience say.
    I'm not one of those btw, only 14 months into the reefs myself after 20 years of freshwater tanks
    Welcome to the hobby and the Reefuge, the best site for reefers out there :)
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Mott

Mott Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Thank you all! I feel so much better I thought I had the led lights turned on for too long

There is a compartment at the back with three canisters. On the box it said it should have had three different types of filter media in it but it's only got the white round hollow tube sort of filter in each one. I found a generic pic from the booklet. What do you recommend for filter media? Should I replace some?
    IMG_2428.JPG
  11. slin1977

slin1977 Member

Ratings:
    +2,984
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Ahh, perfect!! You'll be off to a great start with that set up. No need to change a thing but I can recommend changing those generic noodles out with a product called Siporax. I believe it is the best filtration product on the market by far. I run 10 litres in my 300 litre tank. Yes it's expensive but it will be a great investment if you manage to get it into your set up. Whilst you are still cycling the tank would be the best time.
    • Like Like x 1