Off-Topic

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Help With Japanese Text Pls?
Yesterday I bought a box with (I believe) Japanese text on it. It contains 2 "slat books" with text on them also. Intuition tells me it is a religious text of some sort but as I am unable to read Hanji, Katana or Mandarin, I don't know what exactly it is. It also has
some sort of certificate with it too which I am also unable to read.
Can anyone help?

Attachments

E

ezza

My husband knows some Japanese but he says this is "old kanji". He works with a Japanese lady who might be able to translate it. Kanji originated in China, but was adopted by the Japanese.

E

ezza

This is from our Japanese friend:

It's Chinese. The first two letter means Zhu Xi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhu_Xi
The last two means "house rule".
There is a book called "朱自家訓”. The second charactor is different from the picture's letters.

I can probably ask a Chinese friend for input.

E

ezza

Following is the translation. Hopefully it can make sense to you.

家门和顺,虽饔餐不继,亦有余欢;国课早完,即囊橐无余,自得至乐。

Family harmony leads to happiness regardless of poverty. Study of Chinese ancient civilisation fulfills yourself even without having sufficient food.

读书志在圣贤,非徒科第;为官心存君国,岂计身家!

The aim of study is to increase knowledge, not the mere attainment of high position. Think more for your country rather than for your own benefits when serving your country.

守分安命,顺时听天;为人若此,庶乎近焉。
You'll be successful if you adapt yourself and abide by your duty to the society well.

E

ezza

It was a Chinese workmate of my husband. Thank weatherzone ;)

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I am here and alive. We got a bit wet but y'know, that's how it goes up here. Thank you @ezza and @holly - I appreciate your efforts. I was delighted to find this "book" and am even more pleased now I know what it is about. Thank you <3