Reef Discussion

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Help With Tunze Ato
Hello Everyone,

My Tunze Osmolator ATO has been one of, if not the, best investments in the stability of my tank over the last year. Other than filling the RODI reservoir when required, it has been a set and forget solution.

I purchased it from another reefer who stated they had used it for less than 6 months. I also have a new replacement OEM pump.

Last night it started to act up.Symptoms:

* plug in the unit, the normal green lights come on, then after pumping water for 4-6 seconds all the lights turn orange for a moment, then the lights turn off and the unit seems to lose power.
* doesn't come on again (left for 20 min)
* unplugging and replugging the unit has the same result as the first point above and the cycle repeats itself

Has anyone else ever had this happen and/or can offer some advice on troubleshooting etc?

Thanks, J

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
No idea unfortunately as I've never had that issues with mine. Maybe send Tunze and email as I'm sure they'll be able to sort you out straight away :)

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
That is the behaviour when the computer detects something is wrong. It is usually because the pump is stuck and drawing too much power from the supply.
Rotating the impeller manually or replacing the pump usually fixes the problem. Other reason could be a faulty infrared or float sensor.
Also, at some point I swapped power supplies by mistake and it would cause the computer to fail at random times. Adding a new and adequate power supply solved it.

Mine did it a handful of times, over the years (6y in total), until replacing the pumps and sensors wasn't enough. When it got to this point, the behaviour was intermittent and erratic, like pump not running for a couple of secs on reboot and lights blinking very fast.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Thanks Dom and Franklin for your replies.

I checked the pump and the impeller and gave a quick clean - looks visually OK.

I have shot off an email to Tunze support and will wait to see what they have to say.

In the meantime I will try installing my spare pump tomorrow and see whether that fixes it.

Thanks again.

A single day without the ATO working has reinforced how important the ATO is in the system.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Thanks Macca.i am going to guess that Aqua Depot are the Aussie distributors?

Update: I swapped out my pump for my backup/replacement. Exact same symptoms. :(

Might be looking for a new control unit. This one I got second hand so only have previous owners word for the unit being about 1.5 years old. Not sure of warranty situation for Tunze prod for second hand purchases.

I did write to Tunze and they said to see if I could get it replaced under warranty. I will try contacting Aqua Depot next. Thanks.