Tank Journal Archive

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Here We Go
OK, waiting for the camera batteries to charge because I know how you lot like your pictures, lol. I drove damn near 400 kms to get the tank, stand, sump, skimmer and ReefKeeper Elite v2 this morning. Some things aren't going to be used, the skimmer, stand and ReefKeeper are already listed on Craigslist for sale. I just don't trust their stand building capabilities, basically Marineland's stands are shit. There's no damn way that 20mm of plywood will last for very long under 300+ kgs of water, tank and rock. I have no use for the ReefKeeper and I don't care for the skimmer design.

I've been waiting/ looking for one of these for the better part of a year and I have one in my possession now.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The peeling paint is coming off, gotta build a stand today. I have all the lumber cut out in the shop, just have to put it together, stain and urethane it. I just ordered a new pump for the skimmer so I'm going to try it for a little while since it has really good reviews here in the US. Gonna start mixing water later today.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
The peeling paint is coming off, gotta build a stand today. I have all the lumber cut out in the shop, just have to put it together, stain and urethane it. I just ordered a new pump for the skimmer so I'm going to try it for a little while since it has really good reviews here in the US. Gonna start mixing water later today.
for what occupants are we talking ? Your obviously a handy man with things. mush cheaper that way and you can trust what YOU build.. lol I hope

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm looking for a pair of Antenna gobies to try to raise. I'm gonna order a tiny Emporer angel as well for the tank and right now very tiny Purple tangs are available so I'm gonna throw one in there till he grows out.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Started the damn stand yesterday afternoon and everything conspired to stop me. First the damn stapler decided it didn't wanna work and I split out 3 of the cross rails, so now I need to get some fir lumber because apparently yellow pine that's 30+ years old isn't the correct choice, lol. The hemfir that I had is so horribly warped that I chopped it up for firewood. At least the weather is going to cooperate this week other than tomorrow with more, you guessed it, SNOW!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Started the damn stand yesterday afternoon and everything conspired to stop me. First the damn stapler decided it didn't wanna work and I split out 3 of the cross rails, so now I need to get some fir lumber because apparently yellow pine that's 30+ years old isn't the correct choice, lol. The hemfir that I had is so horribly warped that I chopped it up for firewood. At least the weather is going to cooperate this week other than tomorrow with more, you guessed it, SNOW!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
This is basically every project I do in my life. I feels your pain. :cry

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
7cm of the white shit on the ground with 25-40cm forecasted for the weekend. Looks like I'll be busier than a 1 legged man at an ass kickin' contest tomorrow, lol.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
M got the stain on the stand tonight, gonna try to get the plywood cut for it tomorrow and possibly get the first urethane coat on before the shit hits the fan again. Tomorrow will be a lull in the action before storm #2 hits us, we're getting some tonight, the rest tomorrow night and all day Sunday.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Well, we dodged the blizzard, New York did sort of as well. They didn't get the metre they were thinking they would get so all is good I guess. The storm's still raging up to the north in Maine and as far south as Boston, they're gonna get a metre and then some. THEY CAN HAVE ALL THAT SHIT!!! :D

OK, 2 stand pics:
ai.imgur.com_OIMeQ9J.jpg

ai.imgur.com_yLBKnKl.jpg

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It needs 2 coats of urethane, then it'll be done. the best part of the stands is all that I had to pay for was the stain and nails, all of the wood is recycled. I took apart pallets from a machine I installed. we also built a shed and addition to the garage. The pisser is that I can't do the urethane until the temps warm up, they're going to be below 0 for the next 2 weeks. :(

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Here's why I hate the cold and snow. Imagine you have 2 pieces of sand paper inside your knees sanding on the ends of the bone all the while it feels like someone's trying to pry your kneecaps off. Not a pretty picture is it? That's what I endure on a daily basis in the cold from the Rheumatoid Arthritis. No problems in the summer, but in the winter I'm damn near crippled from the pain.