Tank Journal Archive

DanUk

Feb 11, 2016
Liverpool
Hi Everybody This Is My Little Part Of The Ocean
image.jpg
Hi everybody, just joined the reefuge was advised it a very friendly and welcoming place I'm from the UK my name is Dan. I have Been keeping marine for around 4 months now , started with a 53L which got on top of me with parameters so I upgraded to a Red Sea reefer 170. Tank is around a month old. Got lots of hair algae which is starting to die back after adding a phosphate reactor.

As I thought everything was going good I added a small coral beauty in with my 2 clowns who were doing great. Coral beauty got ich within a day of being added and sadly died. Clowns looked fine eating like pigs and swimming healthy. Next day I noticed white spots all over clowns back and fins, I panicked and looked for best solution. I picked up some poly lab medic to try help the problem I was having. Added first dose after lights out and of to bed I went.

Woke up next morning to my male clown dead, he didn't pull through. My female clown looks to be clear for now but I am still treating with poly lab.

My next step I'm looking at is to go fallow for 72days and treat my clown in a QT tank with chloroquine ( was advised to use this as same affect as copper) and then hold him in QT tank until fallow period is over.

Here's some pics of my tank as of now, look forward to sharing my reefing experience with everybody.

Dan

Attachments

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi @DanUk :welcome

It's good to have you here from the other side of the world ...

Clowns are normally fairly hardy and should have been able to withstand the initial whitespot outbreak - were they healthy prior to this episode?. I am not convinced that medic does much in this situation but hopefully you will be able to eliminate it from your DT.

Last edited:

DanUk

Feb 11, 2016
Liverpool
Hi @DanUk :welcome

It's good to have you here from the other side of the world ...

Clowns are normally fairly hardy and should have been able to withstand the initial whitespot outbreak - were they healthy prior to this episode?. I am not convinced that medic does much in this situation but hopefully you will be able to eliminate it from your DT.
Thanks for the welcome guys!
No white spot at all clowns were healthy and eating like pigs, all started when I added coral beauty. Medic seems like it has helped remaining clown but I know it is only a preventative and does not kill the parasite hence why I have been looking into QT and chloroquine treatment. Anybody ever used chloroquine before. Thanks again

Dan

DanUk

Feb 11, 2016
Liverpool
Yes this is the article I have read about it, was advised by a guy on a group, I think he works in the industry In some way. The name of the product I have to buy is avlocor and the main compound init is chloroquine phosphate. It is in tablet form and used when go on holiday to Dominican Republic. He told me it is less harmful than dosing copper each day to QT. Think I'm going to do some more reading up on it before I fully decide. Thanks For replying so soon magicJ

Last edited:

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Welcome Dan , I wouldn't worry about the Algae it will take time but its just part of the process.
There is plenty b4 you that have had drama with white spot. Just take your time and ad make sure the last clown is free of any white spot b4 adding her back into the main tank.
I not to sure what the stock limit is like in the UK,however ...
At some point you will be tempted to add another clown (hold off as long as possible) when you do pick the smallest clown in the batch as that will be sure to be a male.
Good luck mate and keep us all posted.

DanUk

Feb 11, 2016
Liverpool
Than
Welcome Dan , I wouldn't worry about the Algae it will take time but its just part of the process.
There is plenty b4 you that have had drama with white spot. Just take your time and ad make sure the last clown is free of any white spot b4 adding her back into the main tank.
I not to sure what the stock limit is like in the UK,however ...
At some point you will be tempted to add another clown (hold off as long as possible) when you do pick the smallest clown in the batch as that will be sure to be a male.
Good luck mate and keep us all posted.
Thanks mate, I was thinking getting another clown to QT at same time as one I have. Not sure wether to go fallow yet or just keep treating with medic