Reef Discussion

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013
Casula
High Parameters With Little Or No Dosing???
So does anyone else have this situation?
I recently purchased a dosing pump to automate my additives so I wouldn't fall behind due to my work commitments. So as a result I've been keeping really close tabs on the parameters. Tonight's results:

Alk 189
Cal 558
Temp 27
Gravity 1.024

I didn't test my magnesium but it was really high last time I tested it as well!

The only dosing of done is bi carb as the alk was a little low. I'm just trying to understand how the other perimeters could be so high given it's been months since I've added anything else to the tank. I do normal water changes every week.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
What water do you use? What sort of stock do you have in your tank?

Maybe if your using asw and your stock doesn't have a high demand for the alk and cal they aren't being used up as quick.

Could be your test kits aren't all that accurate too, what brand are they.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
^^^ what sarge said, couldn't think of anything further to add other than what constitutes a "normal" water change every week?

Sam

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013
Casula
Thanks @Sarg and @Sam Parker

I have a mixture between SPS (few small frags) a number of different LPS different sizes, and a number of different softies. Also have some crabs and a couple of shrimp. Fish I have 7 chromis, 5 anthias, 2 clowns, 1yellow tang, 1 sail fin tang, 1 humbug.

Not sure what the water is but I get it from "Get Tanked". I change about 20% per week.

I think that covers everything.

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013
Casula
Yeah wow. Looks like I wasted my money on the dosing pump. o_0

Oh we'll I'm sure there are bigger problems to have.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Wait till your sps grow! If you plan on keeping sps you will be thankfull for the doser in time! ;-)

My sps are still small but I'm dosing 55ml of alk and 75 of cal every day. I know of other tanks dosing over 300ml of each a day!