Tank Journal Archive

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Holidays Return
I have just returned from a couple of weeks holidays, sorry work trip, travelling up the WA coast into the Kimberleys. I managed to stop everywhere from Kalbarri, Exmouth, Port Headland and finishing in Kununara. "Luckily" my sister was able to look after my tank. My sisters guppy tank has had more than a dozen tries last year. After leaving instructions and phoning thru the same instructions I didn't hear a single thing for the hole trip. On my return home the phos reactor and skimmer were turned off!
I stayed up and did my normal tests, which were all bad, high phos and signs of nitrates for the first time ever. Low cal, mag aswell. I managed to get the skimmer and new media in the phos reactor and get them both running. I also managed a trip to the beach to collect 100l of water.
I water changed, adding a kettle of water to raise the temp, and went to bed... 4.20 in the morning!
In the morning all that was dead was three small acro frags! Even they arent totally dead. Just brown and half bleached so I will live in hope that they will pull through.
All good considering the pumps were off for a week!!

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Is it OK to add a kettle of boiling water to the seawater to raise the temp a bit. I have never heard of that before.? That may save me waiting hours for the water to heat next time ? The things you learn every day. ?

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Tough job, but I suppose some one had to do it ehh ;)

Acro can be quite resilient and bounce back quick once conditions suit them again. So long as they are just a bit bleached or brown and there is no RTN etc they should come back good.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Is it OK to add a kettle of boiling water to the seawater to raise the temp a bit. I have never heard of that before.? That may save me waiting hours for the water to heat next time ? The things you learn every day. ?
I am not sure I would use a kettle as you don't really know what is in it. But I don't see a problem with putting some RO water in the microwave in a suitable container - you can get in fairly hot fairly quickly.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I am not sure I would use a kettle as you don't really know what is in it. But I don't see a problem with putting some RO water in the microwave in a suitable container - you can get in fairly hot fairly quickly.
thanks for that will remember that

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I have one of those stainless oven top kettles so it shouldnt have too many ill effects. I normally leave it in the sun for a few hours but difficult times.....
Magic J, apparently it was too loud when she wanted to watch a movie. As everything I have is hob I guess it can be a bit annoying. I guess she forgot to turn it on.