Off-Topic

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
That sucks. Our air con is super old and has been running since monday with no problems at all.
We got some technical support over the phone and the problem is the wall behind the outdoor unit heating up too much so the air con cuts out and just sucks hot air instead - got to 44 in here today. Currently 37 and it actually feels comfortable because I've been acclimatised :p I've moved the other animals out to my parents bathroom in air con. Used freezer blocks in the tank during the peak temp and don't want to speak too soon about the outcome or I'll jinx myself :rolleyes

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
The power has been out all afternoon in the seaford, carrum downs and frankston area. I was just starting to get worried because I ran out of frozen bottles and the house is almost 40 degrees! Power just came back on :worship

Last edited:

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
The power has been out all afternoon in the seaford, carrum downs and frankston area all afternoon! I was just starting to get worried because I ran out of frozen bottles and the house is almost 40 degrees! Power just came back on :worship
Shit, lucky!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
We're getting around to making some UPS back ups besides the generator so we don't always have to use the generator if power is out. You were so lucky you were at home @Buddy

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
One more day to go, fingers crossed for all!
Here's hoping! I have all my toes crossed as well. We installed a shade over the outside part of my air con unit last night and so far so good, but it has been about 11am when the air con has started to cut out the last few days so I'm about to find out if I'll be icing the tank again today which will mean I'll be sweltering again.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
My house is holding onto 26.8 inside despite the 39 currently outside. Tanks wouldn't even know of the heat on the otherside of the curtain :D

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I still think theres something wrong with my air con, I've been through a few hot weeks before without a problem of peak 42 degrees... stupid thing. I saw something on youtube about using a car windshield protector/reflector thingo around your tank to keep the temp down. Not sure if it would work

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
The water is always going to try and heat (or cool) to the ambient temp around it. insulating the sides won't really help if the top is open.

Better to be open, heating up and getting good gas exchange than remaining (slightly) cooler and limiting the amount of oxygen getting into the water I'd think. Just leave the lights out and hopefully all will be OK by this evening when the change comes through.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Felt like the week from hell came to an end today - I've had a cold the whole time, an ongoing issue with the bank over receiving $0 electronic statements that no one I've spoken to seems to be able to fix (its come to the point I will involve the Ombudsman which is completely ridiculous over something so simple), heat stressed animals and experienced the heat first hand which wasn't very comfortable... but no tank losses! I ended up having to put a towel over the tank the final 2 days of the heat wave at the peak sunny point in the day as the UV rays was starting to burn some of the softies. This blocked some of the air flow over the surface but I had to make a choice between the two things and the water was pretty cool in comparison to room temp (this is bad but I took the thermometer out as I really didn't want to know by that stage and just stuck my hand in every now and then to make sure the tank still felt cool). I have damage to one LPS coral from the heat that hopefully will recover and I just finished helping the 1x1ft leather shed which was really interesting to see. It went from looking closed and patchy/pale white to completely shedding. I blasted the powerhead on it just half an hour or so ago until I'd freed it of the skin and within 5 minutes its polyps were back out and you would never have known! Such a relief... I knew the coral was tough but didn't know what a case of sun burn was going to do to it.

KirTracid

Aug 4, 2013
Tank did fine in the heat BUT the sticky part holding up one of the vortech's failed plunging the motor onto the floor (3cms from the ato reservoir funnily enough) I've been too scared to try it again as I just spent $150 repairing it from a disconnect...
When all that wind came in right at the end the frag tank I was cleaning outside got a random item dropped on it (we all know what that means.... crack)

Certainly NOT the problems I was envisioning whilst looking at the weather reports.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Tank did fine in the heat BUT the sticky part holding up one of the vortech's failed plunging the motor onto the floor (3cms from the ato reservoir funnily enough) I've been too scared to try it again as I just spent $150 repairing it from a disconnect...
When all that wind came in right at the end the frag tank I was cleaning outside got a random item dropped on it (we all know what that means.... crack)

Certainly NOT the problems I was envisioning whilst looking at the weather reports.
:(