Reef Discussion

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
How Big A Light?
hey everyone. Looking at putting on either an AI prime or AI hydra 26 HD onto my aquaone minireef 150. Its a 150ltr cube. From what i read it seems the prime is bordeline ok this size tank. Since the tank is cube i feel the single ligth of the prime would give an even distribuation where as going the hydra would mean a more rectangluar distribution but obviosuly brighter....anyone used these lights on similar tanks? Thoughts?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
To me, I like lots of light, so would be leaning towards the 26. However, if you are keeping more LPS corals than SPS corals, I am sure the prime would be enough.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
I have the minireef 150 and i run a hydra 52 over it, I would say the 26 would work as well, the prime would not get the coverage required.

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
To me, I like lots of light, so would be leaning towards the 26. However, if you are keeping more LPS corals than SPS corals, I am sure the prime would be enough.
No sps at all yet...though still very early in the game

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
I have the minireef 150 and i run a hydra 52 over it, I would say the 26 would work as well, the prime would not get the coverage required.
Woh at 52! didn't even consider that haha. Main reason you went the 52 over the 26? Dodnt think the 26 would be enough?

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
I picked up a cheap 2nd hand one that was only a few months old so it was worth it. I also had a 3fter at the time which the 52 covered well enough, then I got the minireef 150 and figured I can always turn them down. I've had this light now for around 3 years now and it's still going strong!

Nachoman

Apr 10, 2018
How have you found the light to be?? I'm getting a minireef 160 and was looking at a Kessil maybe as the lighting option.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Ended up getting the hydra 26 as got a great deal on it. Thanks for the advice everyone!
I see a lot of people here in the USA getting rid of their Kessil lights and going with Hydras. the Hydras have a MUCH better spectrum.

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
How have you found the light to be?? I'm getting a minireef 160 and was looking at a Kessil maybe as the lighting option.
Im loving it. Easy as to setup. Lots of settings to play with though, but thats half the fun! Haha. The Mariglo did ok but hydra definitely looks 1000x better.