Reef Discussion

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
How much rowaphos
So Ive got some rowa sitting here from a friend but it's not in original container.... What's the dosage rate ? How many g/L ?

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
There are two ways to use Rowaphos.

The preferred method(active) is fluidized.

The second method (passive) is to place it in a filter bag in a high areas of the sump. I personally have never used it like this.

For the first method, many people use a TLF or similar fluid bed filter. It allows a controlled rate of flow to pass through all the media.

Dosage rates vary considerably on every tank. An important thing to consider when using some types of FBF, is that they need a minimum amount of the media for it to fluidize properly. I always use the minimum amount the reactor will allow and adjust the flow rate so the media is slightly tumbling.

At a measure, I would say I use 4-5 tablespoons for around my volume of 600 odd litres.

What is your phosphate levels?

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
On a reagent test 0.25 :-( need to get a hanna checker tho..... So when i setup my 10L pico 1 tbs would be may more then enough !!

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Rowaphos works pretty quickly.
Sometimes it can be a problem for your tank if the levels are dropped too quickly. Jus keep an eye on things. It can drop your levels to 0.00 in less than 24 hours.

Just start with a small amount :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I allways used around half an eggs size in a passive bag in the Pico , that was allways fine .

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Ok cool I dunno why I didn't just ask you Matt :-/ Would it be fine to mix the rowa into the same bag as carbon..... Plan was too "gently jam" a full bag into the sump so that all the water passes through the bag ? With filter floss on top to catch debris do it doesn't clog the bag up ?