Reef Discussion

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
How To Dose ...... ?
Ok,

So started dosing not too long ago so total newby to this.

I have 80L AIO with three part sump section across back. I have been dosing the following recently which pretty much is holding results as they are.
20ml Alkalinity
5ml Calcium
5ml Magnesium

I was wanting to raise all levels slightly so have raise to the following
25ml Alkalinity
8ml Calcium
8ml Magnesium.

I am basically using a syringe one supplement at a time and squirting into the 1st section of the sump area in the back then get syringe out the next supplement and put in etc.

Is there anything more I need to be careful off and is this the right way to do it (considering I don't have a dosing pump at this stage). I know I have to keep an eye on qty of dosing to test levels etc but anything else or other suggestions ?

cheers

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Thanks Agent M. Interesting such a tank with filtration skimmer etc.

Anyone else have any help on dosing ? ie ok just to dose all three together into the same section using same syringe one after another ? etc or any other comments ?

Htu08

Nov 4, 2013
I'd try and pump it into different sump sections just because by pumping it into 1 section, you have elevated levels in that section, leading to increased precipitation.
Unless of course you space it out. If you dose say, the alk in hte morning, the calc after work and hte magnesium before bed, i dont see a problem at all.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
hmm ok
have been doing all three one after the other pretty much into the first section.

What do you mean by increased precipitation.?

Htu08

Nov 4, 2013
Good article to read: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/rhf/feature/

From the man himself:
Calcium and carbonate (a component of alkalinity) can precipitate from the water column if the product of the concentration of each of them rises too high.
Have you ever noticed when you dose one and the other, a white cloud forms?, if so, precipitation
Basically, when alk and calc meet, they form calcium carbonate (The stuff that makes up coral skeletons and clam shells and shells in general), its when the Ca ion bonds with a carbonate ion. But as this isnt an organism using it to make it, what you get is, basically the two solutions mix and form sand... Hence whats really happening is that you are dosing 2 part but as the solutions are close to saturation, you get increased rate of sand production, therefore lowering the effectiveness of dosing.
(To test this, grab like 20ml of calcium and 20ml of alk and just put it into a small tray and leave it there overnight and come back.)

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
ahhh ok.
Thanks for the info and link.
So if dosing one after another, then would it be ok to put say Calcium 8ml into the first section and the alkalinity 25ml into the last section where the return pump is which goes to chiller and straight to return outlet in dt. Magnesium would go into first section as well ?
Just trying to work things as best I can due to time restrictions each day that's all

Htu08

Nov 4, 2013
Hmm, I only dose two part as I dont really see my mag drop too much. But what I do is put the calcium in the overflow box (so it goes down the two overflow pipes) and the alk in the return pump chamber.
Btu your idea works just fine :)